Joy of Christmas | Teen Ink

Joy of Christmas

January 20, 2012
By BBaller746 BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
BBaller746 BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
lol


People have heard that Jesus Christ was born on a very special day. That day is Christmas, the festival celebrated by Christians. Christmas comes from the Old English Christes Maesse or “Christ’s Mass” (Pascoe 1). December 25 was selected as the day of Christmas because it was around the time of various Pagan festivals, such as the Roman Saturnalia (Pascoe 1).

Earlier Christian churches were divided over when to celebrate Christmas (Pascoe 1). In Rome, the western church chose December 25 (Pascoe 1). Only the Armenian Church observes Christmas on January 6 (Pascoe 2). Gift giving is a major part in Christmas and people show their love by giving gifts to family and friends. In some countries, gifts are exchanged on January 6th at a Christian festival (Pascoe 2). Gift giving is also a part of many other festivals. (Pascoe 2).
Christmas decorations are an amazing tradition often displayed by people who celebrate and enjoy Christmas. Mistletoe and other evergreen plants have magical abilities on the festival and people (Pascoe 3). Mistletoe is a small wreath intended to make people kiss under it. Fire, candles, and other lights symbolize the sun in the Pagan festivals (Pascoe 3). One name of a tree was paradise tree, which was an evergreen that hung with apples (Pascoe 3). It was a prop in the play Adam and Eve (Pascoe 3).

In 1843 John C. Horsley; a British artist created the first Christmas greeting card (Pascoe 3). It was designed as a postcard. In the 1860’s these Christmas greeting cards were popular in Britain (Pascoe 3). A German emigrant printer whose name was Louis Prang began to design and sell colored Christmas cards in the United States in 1874 (Pascoe 3). In Less than ten years, his shop was a huge success his shop was the turning point 5 million cards a year.

A family gathering is a great way to interact and spend time with your family. Food that is most common to serve is turkey, goose, duck, fish, roast beef, and a variety of other good things to eat and drink (Pascoe 4). Most popular Christmas desert in Britain and the United States are mince pie and plum pudding (Pascoe 4). There is a superstition that says or responds that if you eat mince pie on Christmas it brings good luck (Pascoe 4). Among many lands, baked cakes and cookies are traditional.
The play the Nutcracker is often performed in the Christmas season. The most traditional Christmas music is carols. After 1660 the carols returned, when the monarchy was restored. Some extraordinary music is “Silent Night,” Holy Night, “Joy to the World”, and “Jing Bell Rock”. Also a traditional part of Christmas is Bells.

One of the most popular Christmas Stories ever written is A Christmas Carol. Another well-known story is “The Gift of Magi,” by O. Henry (William Porter). Both the wife and the husband are in a quite a pickle, because the wife sold her hair to get a watch for her husband, and the husband sold the watch to get something for the wife. Basically they sacrificed for each other.
Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch Who Stole Christmas is a great kid’s movie. Christmas is a blessing holiday to have, because people can spend time with family, gift giving, listen to music, and have a great Christmas dinner. Spending time is very important, to give gifts and not be selfish. Saint Nicholas in 300 A.D. was a popular Christian Saint (St.Nicholas). Saint Nicholas died 345 A.D (St.Nicholas). He was born early in the fourth century AD in Patara, city in the district of Lycia (St.Nicholas). Where is the Christmas tree originated in? Northern Europe. What Religion doesn’t celebrate Christmas? The Muslims. Where is one of largest Christmas tree located? Washington D.C. on the White House Lawn. What do you think of when you hear the word Christmas? Spending time with family. Which movie is one of the best Dr. Seuss Christmas movie? The Grinch Stole Christmas.

Christmas is about giving homemade items, instead of iPods, emeralds, gold, electronic, etc. Giving from the heart is the best present any person can receive. There is a big Jolly guy who says, “ho ho ho”, who delivers presents to good boys and girls, and this man is Santa Claus. Santa Claus comes from Sinterklaas was a Dutch word for St.Nicholas. Santa Claus is great hero young kids all around the world.
Also he leads eight reindeers (Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, and Blitzen). Rudolf the red nose reindeer is one of the most important reindeer of them all. Santa Claus delivers presents to houses late at night, legend says who ever comes down stairs at night when Santa Claus is in the house will get black pepper in the eyes. Another common name for Santa Claus is Father Christmas (Britain). Santa Claus is someone kids look up to.
Santa Claus is a legendary old man with a long portrayed stout, in a red suit, and fur-trimmed suit. The idea of Santa Claus came from stories from a real person Saint Nicholas. Santa Claus is someone who appears at public places to delight the ones whom look up to him. For people who truly love and look up to Santa Claus, the news program post a little Santa tracker to warn those who really want to know when he will arrive. Usually at public places where Santa Claus is, the kids sit on Santa Claus’s lap and tell him what they want for Christmas. Christmas is a great holiday to interact with your family and have Christmas dinner together, as well have Christmas decorations, and the children’s favorite part is Gift giving.