Oh you're eating beef? Moo! How does that feel? | Teen Ink

Oh you're eating beef? Moo! How does that feel?

By Gracie Meier BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois
Gracie Meier BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois

A diet is someone’s prerogative. It can make a person lose weight, gain weight, give them energy, or even kill them. It’s a choice to improve your life or just to make you happier by what you put inside of your body. What I don’t understand is why people feel the need to cram their diet, their DIET, down people’s throats.

For many years now, members of society have thought that their religion is superior and have attempted to convert other members into believing what they believe. This is irrational, pretentious, and selfish, but when compared to the fact that people will attempt to convert people into eating what they eat makes switching religions look like it’s nothing. Which brings me to my most famous culprit (and number one pet peeve): obnoxious vegetarians.

I have been a vegetarian for four years now, and I can say it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Granted, it did help me decide after finding out that I have a beef allergy and meat was the reason I felt like my stomach was blowing up all the time. I don’t get sick as much, I lost the abnormal amount of weight that I had gained from eating meat, and I have a sustained a veggie diet that has variety and flavor. However happy I may be, I will never try to convert a meat lover into shoving only green things down their pipes for the rest of their lives. It’s my choice, and not theirs.

I get it; people are killing animals for their food source. Yes, that’s wonderful that you’ve decided to stop eating them in order to save the human race. But in all honesty, it’s not helping a whole lot. Animals are still being raised for the exact purpose of consumption later in life, and people are still going to eat them. To that I say, it’s the circle of life my friends. A group of veg heads trying to knock a hot dog out of a street vendors hand before it’s handed to a customer won’t serve any purpose or even get their point across, because we all know whoever ordered that hot dog will probably either get a complimentary dog, and just order another one.

It irks me that people feel the absolute need to make sure everyone knows their opinion about food choice and will try to make them feel guilty for not eating the way that they do. Much like religions, I think it’s important that we all simply stop trying to convert each other and simply coincide with our own beliefs. I can go to a barbeque restaurant with my friends and still manage to find something on the menu, so it can’t be that hard for vegetarians and carnivores to live on the same planet. We just need to get over ourselves and accept that fact that everyone thinks differently, has different values, and craves a burger now and then.

I wrote this piece a few weeks ago as a critical response for class. it's based on my number one pet peeve, which is obnoxious vegetarians. I don't mean to offend with this piece, but merely take a humorous approach to something that bothers me.

CinnamonBrickner BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

"Rain, I don't mind, shine, the weathers fine." - John Lennon

I like that you took a simple topic, and made it an issue. Just as the issue with religon being shoved down people's throats. You also write so well!