Heaven on Earth | Teen Ink

Heaven on Earth

October 28, 2011
By Sam372 BRONZE, Highland Village, Texas
Sam372 BRONZE, Highland Village, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You'd think that killing people would make them like you. But it doesn't, it just makes them dead," Voldemort from AVPM XD


Imagine if you will, a soft, soothing breeze. The smells it carries are fruity and floral. Off in the distance you hear a gentle woosh, woosh as the ocean meets the land. Further off you can most likely hear tropical birds calling in the night for company. And perhaps the most astonishing fact of all: You can see the stars.
These things are what you first notice as soon as you step off the plane in Kauai, Hawaii. The island is one of 8, and my personal favorite. Nicknamed the Garden Island for obvious reasons. Landscapers truly have their work cut out for them because literally everywhere you look is some sort of tropical plant. The colors are so vibrant and the greens are so deep. The sky is the brightest blue you've seen because of all the eco-friendly steps the island has taken to preserve it's sheer beauty. In fact, you won't find a single plastic bag on the island, because you are required to either use paper or BYOB- bring your own bag.
Everyone on the island is so friendly and helpful. Whether you're just looking for directions or strolling down the street, you are sure to be met with a smile and a wave. There was not a single native that I saw that wasn't smiling or pleasant.
Another thing that amazes me about Kauai is the wildlife. My siblings and I counted how many wild chickens we saw on a simple two hour drive. The total may startle you, but I promise it's true- 208. Something else that we saw was the monk seals. These seals are very endangered so whenever one decides to take a nap on one of the pristine beaches, it is given a 20 foot radius and you can be fined if you violate it. But these gentle creatures wouldn't dream of hurting anyone. All they do is nap, and then go on about their daily business.
Next are the cliffs. One of the shorelines is completely cliffs. My family and I went on a boat tour to view them more up close. The cliffs are famous too, as we were informed by our very amicable tour guide. Their rough beauty can be seen in movies like "The Pirates of the Caribbean; on Stranger Tides". The cliffs were a very nice treat and I really enjoyed just looking at them.
And last, but certainly not least are the beaches. I don't even know how to begin to describe to you the blunt and immense beauty the ALL of the beaches have. Most of the islands beaches are accessible and not over crowded. The white sand varies from a little coarse to very fine. But the water is the same at all of them- gorgeous. The blue is the brightest and most inviting hue that you will ever be lucky enough to view. It's amazing how something as simple as water can make someone speechless. It certainly had that effect on me.
There was a quote I once saw (in a little store in Kauai actually) and it goes like this:
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but the number of moments that take your breath away." And if this is true, then my measurement of life was greatly increased during that two week trip because there was not a single moment when I wasn't in awe of the beautiful island.


The author's comments:
My family and I recently took a trip to Kauai, Hawaii and I haven't been the same since.