Jusqu'à Mon Retour | Teen Ink

Jusqu'à Mon Retour

September 29, 2010
By behappy00 BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
behappy00 BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

I had been waiting for this day for weeks; my agony was finally over. As the ending bell for third period approached, I started to get anxious. It seemed like an eternity ago when my dad asked me if I wanted to go on a trip. But this was much more than that: I was going to Paris! Excitement filled my stomach, as my teacher finished her long speech on who knows what, and as I started to pack up my things, the anticipation became unbearable. The bell rang a piercing sound and I was the first one out the door. I rushed to my locker and gathered all my homework, which thankfully wasn't a lot. I could almost taste the excitement as I walked through the white hallways to the office where my mom was waiting. Streaks of blue lockers rushed passed me as I started to sprint to get to my destination. The office door creaked open, and I saw my mother's smiling face all ready to go. I skipped outside to our 2003 dark blue Honda Pilot, and chattered enthusiastically about our big airplane ride. “I can’t believe tomorrow I will be in Paris!” I beamed. “This is going to be the coolest trip ever!” I babbled on. “I hope the plane ride isn’t too long. I wonder if....” My mom listened kindly to everything I had to say.

As we pulled into our driveway, I started to wonder what it would be like in France. I hopped out of the car and flew to our front door, deep in thought until my mom interrupted, "Don't forget your toothbrush." I smiled, and ran up the creaky wooden stairs to my beige room. I maneuvered my way through piles of clothes and other junk to my sage green suitcase. I couldn’t wait to get to Paris. My dad was still packing, so it gave me time to make sure I had everything I needed. Shirts? Check! Jeans? Check! PJs? Check!

"ADLAI! We should go now or we will miss our flight," my dad hollered up to me. I grabbed my suitcase and rushed out of my room, running three stairs at a time. My mom and dad were waiting by the front door, and I could tell my dad wanted to get a move on. I said goodbye to my mom, and with a kiss and a hug, my dad and I were out the front door. I eagerly jumped into my dad's blue car, and sat in the lush leather seats. The car ride to the airport was quiet and calm, but I could feel the excitement as we got closer. I watched shades of reds and oranges from the leaves zoom by, and I could faintly hear the wind whispering outside. Buildings morphed together as we got on the highway, and I knew we were getting closer. And then we saw it, like it came from the sky: the airport! The crowded parking lot teased us to find a spot, and after what seemed like an eternity, we finally found one. I leaped out of the car and immediately opened the trunk pulling out my over-packed suitcase. Walking to the terminal made my stomach fill with butterflies, and I was thrilled to be on our way. Once our bags got checked and we were through security, my dad and I waited for the train. It runs faster than the speed of light, making a silent hush. After fielding crowds of people, my dad and I were finally on our way to Paris. The plane ride was a blur of bad food and even worse movies. Through all the chaos and jet lag, we made it to our hotel. Although the room was no bigger than my closet, its view was beyond belief. It overlooked the whole city, and of course, we could see the Eiffel Tower!

After awaking from a deep slumber, my dad and I made our way through the crowded Parisian streets. We stopped at a little bakery, and the evening baguette was warm right out of the oven. It was the best bread I have ever eaten. Walking no more than 100 yards, it appeared: the Eiffel Tower. It eluded the night sky like a candle lighting a room. My dad and I rode the elevator all the way up. At the top, I felt as though I was dreaming. It was so serene and surreal; I felt among the stars. During the day, my dad and I would explore the metropolis, and dine out at one of a kind cafes. Our nights consisted of trying new exotic francophone cuisine, and staying up late gazing at "La Ville-Lumière".
Paris is known for the Latin Quarter, the Norte Dame, and of course the Eiffel Tower. But to me, its sitting by the river Seine, eating crepes with Nutella, and experiencing the Champs-Élysées. When I got home, I realized that although it is thousands of miles away, Paris is still in my heart. Jusqu'à mon retour.