She “Can’t Be Blamed,” But Cyrus Could Very Well Be the Next Britney | Teen Ink

She “Can’t Be Blamed,” But Cyrus Could Very Well Be the Next Britney

June 7, 2010
By Faith Breisblatt BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
Faith Breisblatt BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The lyrics of her latest song ring true: Miley Cyrus “can’t be tamed.” At seventeen years of age she’s traveled through every Hollywood world-wind, making her way towards infamy, a journey any teen would literally exchange for breathing. But as a Disney child star, this real-life dream could just as well become a reality nightmare, as seen through the paparazzi’s documentation of the many before her, those beautiful disasters who spiraled out of control, unable to handle the intensity of the fame. Miley’s life is a glamorous one, but her rising pop star status has arrived in her teens, a time when she is just beginning to understand herself and who she is. A time of self-discovery can be difficult, and the added weight of the public eye may act as the catalyst to her self-destruction.

Many viewers have noticed the resemblance of Miley’s life to that of past stars. But the resemblance remains especially uncanny to that of the “Hit Me Baby One More Time” Diva, Britney Spears. So similar in fact, I feel as though Miley should sport that Hannah Montana wig permanently, and go the blonde route like that of Britney. That would make the two mirror images.

With their strong southern roots, both Miley and Britney started their careers through Disney, Britney in the Mickey Mouse Club and Miley starring in her own show known worldwide as “Hannah Montana.” From these solid beginnings grew a fanbase and a sense of courage to jumpe off the high dive into the deep end of stardom. Britney’s dive of choice- “Hit Me Baby One More Time,” the record that catapulted her to teen stardom. Most remember the music video of this young girl, dancing in a sexy (yet surprisingly innocent) schoolgirl outfit. From this song came a handful of others. Songs that let an audience believe in the virgin-like demeanor young Britney exhibited (especially considering she let the press believe that she was an innocent virgin). But, as with every young innocent girl, there is the snake of promiscuity just itching to break out.

Britney’s escape from her teeny-bopper pop music was as outspoken as can be. Found even in just the title of her break-away-song was what she was struggling with—“I’m Not a Girl Not Yet a Woman.” It was as it sounds- a ballad describing the awkward current stage in her life of wanting to be taken seriously as a woman, but being stuck in her innocent, teenage phase of a girl. How would Britt-Britt escape this? Well, on the same album as the previously stated track, she also released songs of a more “woman-like” caliber, songs like “I’m a Slave 4 U, “Overprotected,” and “Boys,” songs that were accompanied by a new, more sexual Britney rolling around in dirt half-naked with teasingly attractive, half-naked men. But this was just what came with becoming a woman, right?

Britney evolved from these starter s****y jams to others that reinvented her image into the “woman” she wanted to be, songs like “Toxic” and “Outrageous,” where her music videos literally made her appear to be not wearing anything. But after these hits, we all know what happened to the Princess of Pop. She fell harder than a brick wall. Had two kids. Shaved her head. Literally went crazy. But eventually she came back, still with the same sort of promiscuous image, and made good pop music. Regardless though, Britney has been stigmatized as crazy and not all there from her traumatizing self-destruction.

Miley, as previously stated had the same start as Britney through Disney. After acting and singing for her television show “Hannah Montana,” Miley went on to have a career of her own, beginning, like Britney, with innocent pop songs, such as “See You Again” and “Party in the USA.” Her fans were anywhere from babies to young teenagers. She even told the press out-right, like Britney as well, that she was a virgin and intended to stay that way despite dating a twenty-year-old underwear model at age sixteen. Now however, at age seventeen, as Miley is standing on the brink of adulthood, the “woman” in her is struggling to break loose. So-called scandalous pictures have surfaced of Miley and pole dancing episodes have created outraged parents. It’s obvious Miley is growing up the way any teen would. Her problem, as with other child stars is she is in the spotlight.

And just like Britney, Miley had to announce her growing up to her fans in the form of a song. Miley’s song, “The Climb,” literally was about growing up and becoming an adult. And what happened after this announcement type of song? Miley came out with her latest tune, “Can’t Be Tamed,” which is essentially the equivalent of Britney’s “I’m a Slave 4 U,” a song with scandalous lyrics, placed side-by-side with a sexual video. Miley dances around as a bird, unable to be tamed by men. She’s wild and free, just like Britney once was.

So what’s next for the almost legal star? Is she bound to shave her head too and become impregnated? Is her destiny to follow in Britt’s footsteps?

The facts speak for themselves. Miley Cyrus is traveling on the road to become the next Britney Spears. She can have all the fame and stardom Britney once had, as long as she can handle herself and her changing image, while being watched like a bird in a cage by the whole world. But this bird can’t be tamed. She’ll either rise to the occasion, soaring high above us all, or fall, shaved-head first and all into the ground.

The author's comments:
I love pop culture and celebrities and the way the mind works. I found this similarity fascinating.