Uruk- The Ancient Civilization | Teen Ink

Uruk- The Ancient Civilization

January 21, 2010
By Callie SILVER, Houston, Texas
Callie SILVER, Houston, Texas
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As I was continuing my expeditions of the ancient civilizations, I came across Uruk. It is located in modern day Iraq. Because of the dangers I would face traveling there, I am choosing only to study what this civilization has become. Its latitude is 31° 19' 0 N and its longitude is 45° 38' 60 E. Looking at Uruk’s present day location- Iraq, the major bodies of water are the Persian Gulf, and the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers.

Most of the religions of Iraq are very strict; therefore, women must be sure to cover up all of themselves and not reveal unless married to their spouse. There are also many customs the people of Iraq follow. If I were to go here in person, there would be several things I needed to learn. For instance, I would not be able to show the bottom of my feat to anyone and must keep your feet flat on the ground when you sit. Feet are seen as unclean. You are to take your shoes off when entering someone else’s home. Also, you are unable to display any affection such as hugging, kissing or holding hands. It is offensive and greatly frowned upon.


Iraq contains no system of organized government but instead has the IG- Interim Government appointed 2004. Along with IG there is TAL- Transitional Administrative law to help have some structure.. Iraq also contains executive, legislative and judicial branches. The economy of Iraq is based chiefly on oil- it provides about 95%of foreign exchange earnings. However, Iraq also contains agriculture and industry. Agriculturally it produces goods such as wheat, barely, rice, vegetables, and cotton; it also raises much cattle, sheep and poultry. Petroleum, chemicals, textiles, construction materials, food processing, fertilizer and metal fabrication are also some industries in present day Uruk which is Iraq.


The culture of Iraq was diverse but seeing as it has been at war for the last several years some things have changed. About seventy-five percent of Iraqi people are Arab. Ninety-seven percent of the people worship Muslim. As I said before I am unable to travel into Iraq to collect information on its present day societies due to the danger but I have greatly looked into the culture of its past years. I will continue my expedition, and next I will travel to modern day Sidon and see what I can find.