Welcome to Rijeka, Croatia | Teen Ink

Welcome to Rijeka, Croatia MAG

Picture a small city with cobblestoned streets linedwith relics and memories of a city that has been part of three countriesduring the last century.

Despite a violent past, Rijeka, Croatiaremains a wondrous city. Every Saturday the marketplace is filled withpeople buying fruits, vegetables and fish pulled from the water onlyhours before.

Shops close at noon for dinner. The restaurantsare packed and the main streets linking Rijeka with its suburbs arepacked with families on their way home for the biggest and mostimportant meal of the day. Business resumes at two o'clock and the Korzo(main street) is filled with locals buying goods for Sunday.

Thebest times to visit Rijeka are in February and during summer. TheCarnival, in February, is a great international experience. Performancesinclude choirs, dances and plays from almost every country in Europe.

Summer is another great time to visit. The warm weather mixesperfectly with the crystal waters of the Adriatic Sea and the days aregreat for water sports, walks or a snack in one of the many cafes liningthe streets.

Rijeka is a great place to visit and a sensationalcultural experience.

Learning the Inuipat Ways by Maggie K., Teller, AK

?Viva Franco? by Aly R., Newbury, VT

Cultural Collision by Roli K., No. Wales, PA

The Big Decision by Stacey Z., New City, NY

A Cyclist's View by David L., Abilene, KS

Across the Atlantic by Siobhan M., Congers, NY

Wet Asphalt by Paulina M., Gilford, NH

By Sarah S., Marblehead, MA

Send your work

Email a Friend

Bulletin Board

More Travel and Culture
TopRightExtra.jpeg
Extra160.jpeg
Extra160bot.jpeg
Teen Ink - PO Box 30, Newton, MA 02461 - (617) 964-6800 - editor@teenink.com
Published by The Young Authors Foundation, Inc. - A 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
Copyright 2006 by Teen Ink, The 21st Century and The Young Authors Foundation, Inc. All rights reserved.
Thispublication may not be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system ortransmitted in any form or by any means,
without the writtenpermission of the publisher: The Young Authors Foundation, Inc.

on May. 21 2011 at 8:16 am
RadiahMariaBelak BRONZE, Singapore, Other
Heyy!! I totally agree with you!! I've been to Croatia, but not Rijeka i went to Sibenik and Split. They have cobblestone streets too! Pretty eh'? A place to escape from modern country..