Dreams Do Come True | Teen Ink

Dreams Do Come True MAG

"This way, miss," said the young Bahamian as heled the way to the pontoon boat. There was room for about 60, but only fivejoined me.

As the boat romped over the waves, I thought back eleven yearsto my first island visit via a cruise ship. As we had docked I'd noticed a signadvertising swimming with dolphins. I tugged at my mother and pointed; she knewexactly what I wanted, but I was too young.

"Maybe some othertime," she said. I think everyone knows that those four words usuallytranslate to never. From that day on, it was my dream to swim with those gentleassets of the ocean.

Now, after 15 minutes of whiplash over wave afterwave, we reached Sanctuary Bay. As we docked, I saw the gray creatures showingoff their one-of-a-kind talent before my eyes. We were led off the boat, past abrick building and down a hill to receive our flippers. Our guide told us wewould have the pleasure of spending the next 90 minutes with Kaholo, a youngmale, and Robola, the largest female, who is quite famous, having played the leadin the film "Zeus and Roxanne."

My father and I were joined byfour others and followed the man once more down to the docks. He told us to jumpinto the water while he let the dolphins into that part of the bay. For the first20 minutes, we could go anywhere and touch the dolphins as they swam by.

Kaholo and Robola must have known I was their biggest fan because theygravitated toward me like I had fish. After the introductory period, they jumpedover our heads. I got a hug and kiss from Robola, and also learned how to haveKaholo talk to me.

This was by far the most magical experience of mylife. Although other kids ask for a new car or CD player for their sixteenthbirthday, I wanted to fulfill my life-long dream of swimming with dolphins.

Next time your parents say "Maybe some other day," have faithin them. Your dreams are important to them too, and they will do whatever theycan to make it possible, because dreams can come true. Mine did.

The Ulster Project by Collin V., Salt Lake City, UT

My Puerto Rico by Karl V., Bronx, NY

England by Matt C., Beverly, MA

Home by Zandra B., Jacksonville, FL

A Brightening for Mortal Men by Blair H., Newton, MA

Jamaica Me Crazy by Josh S., Bloomingdale, IL

By Allison L, Abington, MA

Send your work

Email a Friend

Send your work

More Travel
TopRightExtra.jpeg
Extra160.jpeg
Extra160bot.jpeg
Teen Ink - PO Box 30, Newton, MA 02461 - (617) 964-6800 - editor@teenink.com
Published by The Young Authors Foundation, Inc. - A 501(c)3 nonprofit organization.
Copyright 2006 by Teen Ink, The 21st Century and The Young Authors Foundation, Inc. All rights reserved.
Thispublication may not be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system ortransmitted in any form or by any means,
without the writtenpermission of the publisher: The Young Authors Foundation, Inc.