Wisconsin's Hidden Gems | Teen Ink

Wisconsin's Hidden Gems

May 23, 2023
By 4fritsche SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
4fritsche SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Wisconsin—a state commonly misconceived as rolling hills and farmland throughout. Although this beautiful scene can be found in Wisconsin, it is just part of this great state.

A great stop when in Wisconsin is Milwaukee. A range from being on Lake Michigan to walking through the city next to skyscrapers. Milwaukee has it all. From different ethnicities of food to all kinds of excursions and activities to make your time worthwhile. A favorite of mine is the Milwaukee Public Market. You can find a variety of foods from spices to coffee to pizza. It is a great place to visit when with a group of people to satisfy the different wants and needs of the group. 

Although city life is not for everyone, Eagle River located in northern Wisconsin is a great place to stay for a long weekend. Eagle River has 28 connected lakes making it the World’s Largest Chain of Freshwater Lakes. This makes for great boating and swimming. Just forty-five minutes north of Eagle River is Bond Falls, a scenic waterfall. This 65-foot set of waterfalls is a great place to take your dog to hike as well as have a picnic next to the rushing water. When looking for a place to eat on the chain of lakes, Dublins just off of North Twin Lake is a great option. With boat parking where after a long day of boating you can park your boat and walk right up to the restaurant. A great bonus as well is the gas pump for water vehicles located just below the restaurant. This makes filling up the tank easy without taking your boat out of the water.

If you’re with young children, the Mineshaft located in Hartford is a great place for a birthday party or just a fun night out with the kids. Located on the ground level is the restaurant which serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You can find Mexican, Italian, and American food all in one place. The second floor is where the kids can have fun. With tons of games to play to win prizes that will keep them occupied for hours. The Mineshaft really is a great family bonding place where everyone can have a blast.

A Wisconsin classic Friday night dinner is a fish fry. In the middle of the state is Wisconsin Rapids. Many teens know this as the home of the famous Disney Channel tv show, Liv and Maddy. This town has many lakes as well as the Wisconsin River that passes through. While out on the river for a long day, Anchor Bay is a fabulous place to stop for lunch or dinner or even a quick drink. With lots of boat parking, this is the perfect place to enjoy a burger or fish fry with live music and lots of outdoor seating. Anchor Bay also has a great view of the ski shows that take place on the water, making it an even better place to stop and enjoy with family or friends and to also meet new people. 

Wisconsin has lots of hidden gems throughout, and these four amazing places and restaurants are just the start of great towns and an even greater state.