They Are Beautiful | Teen Ink

They Are Beautiful

April 13, 2023
By tristagassner BRONZE, Brownsville, Wisconsin
tristagassner BRONZE, Brownsville, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

What if just being theirself was as easy as one, two, three? Would they never want to change their looks to be more ‘beautiful’? Well, these songs clearly target young women and girls across the world. The artists want them to know that they should love themselves and that they are beautiful “Just The Way They Are”. To add on, these songs are on many different kinds of platforms including, the radio, music apps, and the internet. Between 2010 and 2017, these artists really wanted to make it known that these women are naturally beautiful. Along with that they also want them to know that they should express themselves as seen in Luke Combs’, “Beautiful Crazy”. Pop and country music from 2010 to 2017 heavily supports women letting them know that they are beautiful inside and out, helping them to be confident in their own true skin.

The first example song is “Beautiful Crazy” by Luke Combs from 2017 that utilizes a standard metaphor and a literal explicit message to tell the listeners that people will love them for who they are. The lyrics describe that no matter what people think about them they should always “wear [their] heart[s] on [their] sleeve[s]” to embrace their true self (Combs 12). He uses this standard metaphor to compare how the girl acts as to her wearing her heart on her sleeve. Which is seen as someone who is vulnerable, never afraid, and rarely hides their feelings and/or emotions. Combs compares her to wearing her heart on her sleeve because she isn’t afraid to be who she is. This implies that he loves her for who she is. The lyrics also include a literal explicit message to tell them to be themselves and not someone else. They can always be “unpredictable, unforgettable / [And make it seem] unusual, unbelievable / How [they make someone] such a fool / Yeah such a fool for [them] / [Because they are,] beautiful crazy’’, but should never be afraid to embrace their true self (Combs 27-31). Everyone is unique in their own way and should always express it, never hide it. These lyrics spread positivity amongst the listeners that proves people will love you for who you are. 

Next up is, “Scars To Your Beautiful” written by Alessia Cara in 2015 uses implied metaphors to inform the listeners that they do not need to change themselves to be beautiful. The lyrics explain that they may want to be “sculpted by the sculptor” just so they can be beautiful, but in reality, they are beautiful without having to change (Caracciolo 5). Cara uses this implied metaphor to compare how beauty is not characterized by society and an individual's exterior complextion. This is the reason why many women feel the need to wear makeup, but in reality it’s what is on the inside that counts. Beauty comes from the experiences and adversity they face. She exaggerates this to tell her listeners that their appearance is not where their beauty stems from and that’s why every woman is beautiful in their own way. The lyrics also include another implied metaphor to identify all of you as beautiful and perfect. They have “no scars to [their] beautiful” because they are beautiful no matter what (Caracciolo 23). This implied metaphor compares their beauty to their skin. Most people may think that since they have scars they are not beautiful because “beautiful people” don’t have scars. This statement is completely untrue. This message is telling the listeners that they shouldn’t have to hide anything and don’t have to change anything either. 

Following the artist Alessia Cara is the song, “What Makes You Beautiful” by One Direction, written in 2011, that implies a hyperbole and a standard metaphor/hyperbole to tell the listeners that how they look and how they act is perfect and will make others happy. As they walk through the door “everyone else in the room can see it / Everyone else, but [them]” (Falk 5-6). One Direction uses this hyperbole to exaggerate that their natural beauty is perfectly pretty. Although every girl's dream is to be “perfectly pretty” it isn’t a reality and their natural beauty is what makes them pretty. They don’t try to embrace their natural beauty, so instead they add makeup so they can be pretty. Without makeup they would truly see their natural beauty the way others see it. The lyrics also include a standard metaphor/hyperbole to compare and exaggerate that they can light up anyone's world. All they have to be is theirself because “[they] light up [someone’s] world like nobody else” (Falk 24). They use figurative devices, standard metaphor and hyperbole, to compare how a woman can light up someone’s world and make their life generally better. They don’t have to change themselves to make someone else’s life better. This sends positivity amongst the listeners so they know they should never have to change themselves for someone else. 

Before One Direction came out with their hit song Bruno Mars came out with his song called, “Just The Way You Are” which was released in 2010 and contains a standard simile/hyperbole and personification and hyperbole to let the listeners know that they are beautiful just the way they are. Their eyes shine brighter than the stars, “[making] the stars look like they’re not shinin’” as they twinkle in the night (Cain 2). Mars uses a standard simile to compare how their eyes shine bright like stars which is important because eyes show one’s depth. He exaggerates this because eyes are an exterior feature that shows true inner beauty, as you can learn a lot from looking into one’s eyes. These lyrics also include personification and a hyperbole to make it seem like they are the most beautiful to ever exist. They’re natural beauty is so noticeable even “the whole world stops and stares for a while”, acknowledging them and their beauty (Cain 17). Mars exaggerates this because he is telling his listeners that even though you may not see that you are beautiful, others will see it. Even though the whole world can’t stop and stare, it is being represented as everyone stopping and staring at their beauty. 

Last but not least in 2012, Rihanna released one of her most known songs called “Diamonds”. This song uses standard similes and personification to notify the listeners that they shine in their natural skin. The lyrics describe that no matter what, they should always, “shine bright like a diamond” (Eriksen 1). Rihanna uses a standard simile and personification to compare shining bright to how a diamond looks. Diamonds are very high end, precious rocks that symbolize strength and love. She wants these women to love themselves and have the strength to believe they are beautiful. Although diamonds can’t physically shine bright themselves, when looked at, they give off a reflection due to their reflective property. Another part in the lyrics include a standard simile as well comparing beauty to the stars. They don’t have to change themselves to shine because “[they are] beautiful like diamonds in the sky” (Eriksen 11). Rihanna compares their beauty to stars and according to astronomy, stars are angels that have fallen from heaven. Therefore she is implying that women are angels. 

To finalize, the ultimate message from these songs is that women across the world are being supported by enabling them to know they should be confident and are beautiful. These five artists utilized different types of figurative language such as standard simile, hyperbole and personification. This figurative language truly helps apply the fact these women are beautiful the way they are. They will always be loved for who they are, how they look and act. Along with them never having to change themselves because they are compared to angels, due to how they shine like stars in the galaxy. If someone asked me if being myself was easy, I’d say not at all. Becoming a women is not easy by any means because of the high standards society holds us to. Us women have confidence issues and these songs help to prove that we need to be confident in our own skin and love our bodies for what they are. This reason is why I wouldn’t ever want to change my looks or anything about myself because I believe I am beautiful the way I am. Women are beautiful. Do you believe you're beautiful? Because you 100% are!


The author's comments:

What sparked my idea of writing my essay about women being beautiful was that, in today's world, women struggle with confidence and believing they are beautiful. I think it is very important that women believe they are beautiful because it helps with their self-esteem and confidence. Along with that society has set women up to think they need to wear makeup or be a different person to be beautiful, yet, it only matters what's on the inside not the outside. The five artists I included in my essay have sent messages to women worldwide to let them know they are beautiful inside and out.