Mediterranean Blossom | Teen Ink

Mediterranean Blossom

May 26, 2009
By Bailey Taunt BRONZE, Atascadero, California
Bailey Taunt BRONZE, Atascadero, California
3 articles 1 photo 0 comments

The cool, misty breeze gently touches my face. The sweet flavor of gelato tickles my taste buds. Vespas and smart cars whizz by in the streets, emitting humming echoes. This bustling city of brilliant beauty bears a resemblance to freedom. The Italian society is peaceful, and it seems to move by at a leisurely pace. It is as calm as rain in the daytime, but at night, the city is like a thrashing thunderstorm. The people stay up late, walk around the palazzos, and sit at cafes conversing and drinking cappuccinos. Simple escapes with the ability to do anything, anytime, any place, “When in Rome, do as the Romans do” be on top of the world! On top of the world is powerful, but love is even more powerful. Is there such a thing as “love at first sight”? Does it have to be a person, or can it be anything? I believe it is anything.

My family and I went to Italy a few years ago. We traveled to several places including Rome and Tuscany; the country amazed me at the very first glance. I looked out the window from the airplane, ready and revving like a race car, to experience a new country. The great places in Italy entrance me; it has exceptional magnificence in every way. The society is conservative and different than America. Its transportation is very convenient and a great way to travel. The people are generous and hospitable. Also, the towns are beautiful and ancient, with small and narrow cobble stone streets.
Rome, or the Eternal City as it is called, is a lively city of tourists and locals. It is fun and very eventful. In this city, the art and culture is present everywhere from small cobbled streets and quaint markets and the famous Roman Colosseum. The cobbled streets lead to other small streets where laundry air dries on close lines, and where little children play. The picturesque markets are a colorful display of fruits, vegetables, and fresh bread. The Colosseum is a huge monumental display of the historical Roman Gladiator entertainment. The Trevi Fountain (Fontana di Trevi) is another famous and widely known sight to see. The marble fountain brings good luck when coins are thrown into the water. It is an ideal place for tourists and locals. I have brought back pieces of the fond memories of the art, fashion, and culture of Italy, which are now embedded within my everyday life.
The countryside of Tuscany is different from Rome and it is an escape from the active and bustling city. It allows its people a chance to relax and enjoy the natural beauty of the land. The first destination we went to was the small village of Bagnio Vignoni in the Tuscan region. My family and I stayed in The Hotel Posta Marcucci, with bubbling thermal water that soothes the body. On the drive towards the hotel, there were fields of red poppies that waved to me through my small window in the car. The red resembles the color of blood, a violent, yet beautiful color. Tuscany is also filled with green hills, wine grapes, and herds of sheep grazing in the fields. The tall grass sways with the blow of the wind, back and forth just like the ocean. Likewise, the United States has many farms and small towns and countryside just like in Italy.
Tuscany is a serene “Go with the flow” place. For instance, the people of Italy are easy going, nice, friendly, and respectful. This amazing city provides me with memories I won’t ever forget, and I hope soon enough I will be able to go back and start a whole new adventure. Italy is different from the dramatic postcards; it is much more beautiful in person. Italy provides a sense of uniqueness, pride, love, and beauty. The uniqueness is the art and structure of each building that took thousands of years to build. The pride is shown through the art and design of the country. The love of the city is shown through me, the emergent cloud of a blossoming flower.