We are one | Teen Ink

We are one

By Vicki BRONZE, Belem, Other
Vicki BRONZE, Belem, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

I was raised in Brazil and both of my parents are Brazilian. I love my country and I’m really proud of my culture and traditions. I live in a city called Belém, near the Amazon rainforest, where the mysteries and myths of the forest mix with the dynamic of the city, creating a unique atmosphere. People often think of Brazil as somewhere exotic and wild, and in many ways it really is. We have wide forests, weird bugs and tropical climate. It’s hot and rainy all year long, and it’s wonderful to witness the incredible biodiversity of our region – something most people have only heard about. Surprisingly to some people, Brazil is a heavily populated and industrialized country. We have major international business centers such as São Paulo, which is also one of the world’s biggest cities.
In Brazil you can find people from all over the world. That is the base of our miscegenational society and diverse culture. I study in an American school, which holds many international students, making this experience even more intense. Most of the kids in my school have lived in other countries and all of them have interesting stories to share, whether is about milking cows in a farm in Tennessee, or going to school in Japan.
I know people from many places, and all of these people carry with them a little bit of the legacy of their countries, and by getting to know them so do I. Is truly incredible what you can learn from just talking to people, and just how much that can add to your life. I’ve had some cultural experiences myself, I traveled a bit through Europe, lived in a boarding school in England, but the experiences gained from my friends are by far more diverse and colorful. Personally I think that the best way to know a place is through someone else, for when you look at something through someone’s eyes, you learn something not only about the place, but also about them, and if you’re really lucky you might even learn something about yourself from this intimate moment.
While many people prefer to be around similar beliefs and backgrounds, we find strength in diversity, creating one world and unifying our cultures. It’s true that sometimes so many differences can create problems and disagreements, but we find unison in religion and conciliation in the principles of Christ. Overcoming many obstacles and barriers, we manage to live in harmony with each other (at least most of the time), even though is not always easy.
People, more than places contribute to your life, in a way that each one leaves a singular marking in you. Today I have a wider cultural knowledge and a better world vision because of my friends, for they shared with me their most valuable possession: their cultural heritage and the experiences that influenced in who they are. They shared themselves. I’m honored to be trusted such treasure, and forever grateful for that, and in our union I know we are more than a thousand, we are one.

MrStew said...
on May. 29 2009 at 9:15 am
Congrats, Victoria!