An Amazing Adventure | Teen Ink

An Amazing Adventure

By Victoria Kingston BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
Victoria Kingston BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana

On June 23, 2008, I woke in great excitement, for in two hours I would be on my way to Rome, Italy. Although I had been to Rome before, I was still jumping with joy to visit the beautiful, ancient city again. I was also excited because I was going with many family members. As I boarded my eight hour flight, images of the Coliseum, the Vatican, and Sistine Chapel floated in my head.

Half awake, we arrived in Rome. Although I could have just gone to sleep, we had an entire tour of the Coliseum and the Acropolis ahead of us. I walked every square inch of the Coliseum and the Acropolis with sweat rolling down my back and my eyes feeling as heavy as weights. However, I kept telling myself this is history and something you may never get to see again. The Coliseum was absolutely breathtaking. It was so grand and masculine. I could almost feel the fighting going on as I stood on a higher level looking down at the field. The Coliseum was one of my favorite sites in Rome.

As my long day came to an end, it was time for a real Italian dinner! Pasta! Pasta! Pasta! The pasta I ordered had a rather difference sauce then the sauce we have in the Unites States. It was not as rich and filling. I defiantly enjoyed my first real Italian meal. As we were walking back to the hotel, I noticed many Gelato stands on every street corner. This was the Italian ice cream. Therefore, I decided to get some. The gelato was also different from ice cream in the United States. It was much lighter of a dessert. After my huge meal, I walked into my room and went straight to bed, for I would be touring the Vatican in the morning!

The Vatican was simply indescribable. I was taken back just walking into the same place where the Pope lived. I felt his presence and just wanted to cry! The statues that surrounded the Vatican were magnificent. The church was the most beautiful church I have ever seen. The history in the church was also too much to handle. When I prayed there, I knew Jesus was right there and hearing my prayers. It was such a breathtaking feeling. We then visited the Sistine Chapel. The colors and detail put into the Sistine Chapel was unbelievable. I found it so hard to believe that a man could paint a ceiling this way. It was an image I will always remember.

The most memorable moment of the trip was seeing St. Peter’s actual bones. Our group was so lucky to be able to go on the Scavi Tour. This is an underground tour of the Vatican. We were able to see an underground village with allies and rooms. This led us to St. Peter’s bones. Tears fell down my face as I looked at the bones, for I was viewing bones that were around during the time of Jesus. I thought it was unbelievable I was able to see the bones that had touched Jesus. Once again, looking at the bones was an undesirable feeling that I truly feel I will never get again. I have never felt as close to my Jesus before. That was a moment in my life that I will never forget. I hope I will get to go back to Rome one day and bring my children. I want them to experience the magnificent feeling of the city as I once did.