Tour de France | Teen Ink

Tour de France

April 26, 2009
By Catherine Pisano BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
Catherine Pisano BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

This past year, I was fortunate enough to be able to travel to Paris, France. This trip exceeded my wildest dreams and provided me with unlimited joy from the moment I stepped off the airplane. France is one of the most beautiful, peaceful, and cultured places I have ever been. This trip to Paris allowed me not only to experience the unique culture of the country, but I was also able to view the city’s most prominent features.

The first world renowned landmark that I was able to visit was the Eiffel Tower. This 1,063 foot high structure was constructed for the World Fair in 1889 and continues to be the most well-known aspect of Paris. Although I had seen images of the Tower before, its beauty is beyond compare. As I gazed up at the sleek, shining metal that extended towards the heavens, I realized that this structure is not only a trademark of Paris, but it is also a breathtaking spectacle. As I traveled to the top of the Eiffel Tower on an extremely small elevator, the beauty of the view was astounding. From the top of the tower, I was able to see every street winding towards the Champs de Elysee and even the very outskirts of Paris. I could also see the impeccable architecture of the buildings that date back hundreds of years and every aspect of Paris that gives the city the feel of a classic culture.

After reaching new heights and viewing the general aspects of Paris, I traveled to some of the beautiful churches that thrive in the city, specifically Notre Dame and Sacre Coeur. As I came upon Notre Dame, the gothic style was inspiring and unbelievably precise. This church, from the outer appearance, has an elegance that is only enhanced by the detailed statues that are carved into the walls. As I entered the church through two large, ancient doors, I immediately felt peaceful as I gazed upon the altar and began to notice the details of the church. The chandeliers, abundance of candles, and gorgeous statues added to the awe I felt as I stared throughout the church. However, the most beautiful aspect of the church was the stained glass windows because of their bright colors, immense size, and intricate designs. After visiting Notre Dame, I thought that nothing could surpass the beauty of this church, but I soon came upon Sacre Coeur. This church resides on top of an extremely high hill and immediately took my breath away. This church is more feminine than Notre dame because it is composed of perfectly sculpted white architecture that is topped by a beautiful dome. As I entered Sacre Coeur, I once again was astounded by the splendor of the stained glass and statues. Both of these churches capture the elegance of Paris and enhance the exquisite beauty of the city, the culture, and the history of France.

After leaving the awe-inspiring churches, I traveled to the famous Louvre Museum. As I approached this building its massiveness was shocking. Not only did the old-styled architecture capture my attention, but the modern glass pyramid that serves as an entrance was hard to miss. The outer aspects of the Louvre alone are enough to stare at for hours; however, once I entered the museum I was overwhelmed by the volume, beauty, and age of the art inside the museum. I walked through impressionism sections, Van Gogh exhibits, sections from ancient Egypt, and, of course, by the Mona Lisa. The Louvre contains some of the most beautiful artwork in the world, and the museum in itself is a piece of art.

My trip to France was perhaps the most exciting experience I have ever had. The city is the home to some of the greatest works of art in the world, architecture that entraps the beauty and age of the city, and a unique culture that is set in an extraordinary surrounding. I am still in awe of this amazing city and can not wait until I am able to return to Paris and take another Tour de France.