Trip West | Teen Ink

Trip West

October 2, 2018
By RyanSchuliger1 BRONZE, Johns Creek, Georgia
RyanSchuliger1 BRONZE, Johns Creek, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There are lots of memories people can remember. Every once a while you are thinking and remember a memory that you can visualize a lot of the details from the trip. The most rememberable trip, was when my family and I went on a trip to the west. This trip happened when I was eight years old and we visited Arizona and Utah. I will never forget the places and things we saw there, it is quite remarkable.

                                  

Our first destination was to go to the main attraction canyons that were in the states. Grand Canyon was the one we were all dying to go see. The moment I saw it, it was truly a jaw dropping moment in my life, nothing can ever be compared to it. It stretches for as far as your eye can see and even the depth of it makes you scared looking at it because it is so big. All you could hear was the distant noise from the river in it and was almost like you were tasting the salt in the water. The vivid colored walls make it an amazing thing also because at the end of the day it is just rock. We then went to Antelope Canyon which is something not many people can say they imagined. It is just a crack from above but then when you crawl down, it was like the walls were painted with a brush and with perfect lighting. The sun would could down on it and make it glow. Knowing the danger of the canyon because of the frequent flash flooding made it more thrilling.

                                  

After the amazing sightseeing in Arizona, we drove in our white rental van all the to our spots in Utah. The place that we had to go to was Bryce Canyon. This canyon turned into my favorite place in all the trip, even better than the very popular Grand Canyon. When I got to where I could see it, my whole thinking of life got changed. The canyon had a million long thin finger type looking rocks that were everywhere filling the canyon. One finger that is the biggest attraction in the canyon is the, “Thor’s Hammer”. It had the top of a hammer looking form, so that’s how it got its name. The sight of green was very limited because there were so few plants that grew there. What made it more amazing was how there were no railings on the edges and it made it that more real.

                                  

The next day, we drove all the way to Zion National Park, where it was even hotter than all the other spots. Us as a family were all wearing shorts and when we rode the horses for a tour of the park, the cowboys were making fun of us. We rode those horses on the edges of the mountains for miles and miles which took us on our 3-hour ride. We were drenched head to toe from all the moistness and sweat from both us and the horses, because of the sun beaming down on us. There was a café that they had in the park, so we went there immediately after. The thing I wanted the most was creamy rich chocolate flavored ice-cream. To my disappointment, all they had was boring plain vanilla. The taste of the vanilla wasn’t the problem during this ice-cream. Apparently, after you ride horses for a long time that taste gets in your mouth and all the food you have will taste like horse.

                                  

Zion National Park was the final cherry on top of our trip. We drove back to Phoenix, so that we could turn our car back in and that’s where we were flying back home from. I was very moved and changed by this trip, and that’s why I remember it so well. Me seeing all those natural features changed my whole view on the world. It is amazing how small you are compared to the world and that there is too much to ever imagine. I got out of this trip was that the world isn’t just your phone and it is better to go out to see the world and spend time with your family.


The author's comments:

My family and I go west