Octavia Blake and Becoming Someone New | Teen Ink

Octavia Blake and Becoming Someone New

By sarahbutler BRONZE, Auburn, New York
sarahbutler BRONZE, Auburn, New York

Things don't get easier, you get better.

Based in the future, The 100 is a post-apocalyptic science fiction drama television series. After nuclear radiation was thought to have wiped out all that was known of mankind, survivors resorted to inhabiting space. They inhabited space in what was known as the ark, one of the last known space stations used to escape the nuclear apocalypse. Limited rations and supplies resulted in the enforcement of specific rules, such as limiting every mother to just one child. There are several characters with a tremendous amount of growth throughout the seasons, but Octavia Blake is a particularly interesting character. Looking at Octavia’s character development, viewers have seen the greatest of changes in behavior and the circumstances leading to that behavior.

Octavia Blake has been fascinating from the moment she was introduced into the story line. This is merely because Octavia Blake is a little sister to her older brother, Bellamy Blake. Knowing the strict rules on the ark regarding children and the consequences of broken rules, it is at first unbelievable that Octavia’s life was kept a secret for so long. As Octavia grew up in the ark, she was hidden in a secret room beneath the floor covered by a small wooden table. This was an important precaution in order to pass mandatory inspection. While her brother was free to go out and socialize, Octavia was forced to live not so freely. You could imagine how this would take a toll on her. She barely knew anything about life itself, let alone life and its procedures outside of the small room she called home. This led Octavia to be very introverted and kept to herself. Even when her brother approached her about attending a masquerade party, she was ambivalent about being seen out in public. Fearful of everyone being suspicious of her, she questioned the legitimacy behind her brother’s approach. After giving in and allowing her brother to escort her to the masquerade, Octavia was eventually caught and scanned, only to find that she had no identification. Thus, her mother was executed, or floated, as it is called in the television series. Ultimately, Octavia had to hold the weight of her mother’s death upon her own shoulders. This was a heavy burden for her, resulting in mixed emotions and an underlying desire to fight back. Later on, this would prove to be a difficult trait for Octavia to manage.

Octavia was one of 100 prisoners sent in a dropship to planet Earth. They were monitored by medical practitioners left in the ark, using special bracelets that transmitted their health conditions to the ark. These bracelets were necessary to deem the living conditions suitable for the human race to return. Still in shock, Octavia struggled to find her place. She was quick to become rebellious against her brother’s protection over her. In attempt to become her own person, rather than an overprotected littler sister, she started to do things for herself. Eager to grow up and prove that she could fend for herself, she pushed herself to her limits and first discovered what it was like to be a warrior. After many years of living on the ground, continuously struggling to find acceptance and a place to call home, Octavia was faced with another huge decision. Another wave of radiation, known as praimfaya, was on its way. It would potentially wipe out all that was reborn on the ground. Octavia took praimfaya as the perfect opportunity to prove herself worthy of recognition and acceptance. Once again, she would be forced to decide the fate of her people. She had gone from the girl nobody knew existed, to the “girl living under the floor”, and finally would become “Blood Reina”, or the “Red Queen”. People from several different clans gathered, all sharing the same intent: survival.

Octavia would be their leader for six years in a shelter underground, determining her own rules and her own precautions for protecting what was left of mankind. She yet again was forced to draw the line between life and death, and this time she seeked a positive outcome. She formed Wonkru, a united clan consisting of people from the 11 different previously existing clans. She lived by the motto, “You are Wonkru, or you are the enemy of Wonkru,” meaning that anyone who refused to live as Wonkru would face harsh consequences. Wonkru followed Octavia’s commands, making Octavia not only a warrior, but a leader. Octavia is a prime example of becoming something we never knew we could be. With hard work, perseverance, and even a little rebellion, Octavia gained a new sense of confidence and reconstructed her entire persona.