Top Voted Sports Articles

Here are the top voted sports articles:

voted
#1
Riding On This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Breathe in, breathe out Concentrate on the rhythm, the beat Ignore the pain, the constant ache Let yourself fly, bounce, gallop Moving forward is all that matters Leave the past behind and move on (more »)
4 comments
voted
#2
Instincts This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
They danced in the flickering light. Their feet bounced from the floor to the night sky, practically weightless. The competitors glimmered with sweat as they concentrated on the wordless motion of offense, their blood-red gloves tapping a punch.... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#3
Paralympic Veteran This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The 2008 Paralympics took place in Beijing, China, in September. Team USA included many Iraq War ­veterans and amputees. Army Specialist Scott Winkler and First Lieutenant ­Melissa Stockwell are two Paralympic athletes who despite their... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#4
Ping Pong This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Ping-pong is a sport that has the reputation for being nerdy and pointless, but if that’s your impression of it, you have a lot to learn. Let me explain. Playing a match is like taking a test: you have to calculate angles and probabilities... (more »)
7 comments
voted
#5
A Frustrated Fan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
When the NBA season approaches, I am forced to recall one of the most frustrating decisions I ever made. Sadly, I am a New York Knicks fan. For the past few years, I have watched the Knicks underachieve on the court and earn a reputation as the... (more »)
6 comments
voted
#6
Tie Breaker This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Thwack, thwack. It’s all I can hear. It has been going on since 3 p.m. It’s six now and we still have one match to go. “Tanya, aren’t we supposed to suck this year?” I ask my doubles partner and twin sister. “Yeah, but oh well.... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#7
Pep Talk This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I stand, separating myself from my comfortable corner. Coach has nothing to say. Our heads hang as if an early frost has come. I cannot bear to witness this anymore. We have two choices: curl up and die or spring back to life. Heads rise as... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#8
Winter Run This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
He sat in front of the computer screen and stared, but he saw nothing. The YouTube videos became a blur as he lost interest. He had to get out. Everything was dull; he felt lost and lifeless. So he laced up his Nikes. He stepped out into the... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#9
Motocross Memento This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“Derek Hom!” screeched the announcer, his voice nearly drowned out by the thunder of bikes. “It’s Hom in third place. He’s taken over Bobbles’ position as they head into the last lap.” The deafening roar of the spectators, their... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#10
Sailing This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Some people imagine sailing is sitting in a boat and ­gliding slowly across the water – but that’s not com­petitive racing. I compete in lots of regattas, or sailing races, and they are not easy. We race in teams of two in a 12-foot... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#11
Racing a Sub-Six This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I have been waiting for this moment all day. My spikes are light on my feet. I wiggle my toes, ­enjoying the cool breeze, and bend to retie my laces. Satisfied, I stand, bouncing on my toes. I stretch one last time as the official drones into his... (more »)
voted
#12
Balance Through Baseball This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
As I walked into the seventh floor hospital room, I didn't know what to expect. My mom was recovering from surgery on her colon. She lay semi-conscious, her pale face matching the stark white sheets. Mounds of gauze covered the staples on her... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#13
Sink or Swim This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The sound of people screaming makes my stomach churn with nausea. My body shakes at the thought of stepping onto the block overlooking the water. I'm tempted to hide in my warm towel, but instead I stare at the blue lines at the bottom of the... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#14
At Home on the Field This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
My shoes are full of gravel that's grinding into the soles of my feet and raising a ­blister on one toe. The bruise on my shin, painfully pulsing with each heartbeat, has turned a deep, almost black, shade of purple. My knee's torn wide open... (more »)
voted
#15
Running This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
You can find running in the dictionary, of course. There's a definition there: “[ruh-ning] noun; the act of a person, animal, or thing that runs.” But it's not right. Maybe in the literal, scientific “can't see further than the end of your... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#16
A Different Kind of Family This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I walk through the vast double doors, my hand sticking to the frosty handle. I scold myself for wearing flip-flops as my toes poke out into the cold air. The wet cuffs of my jeans stick to my ankles. I look around, glancing at the empty scoreboard... (more »)
2 comments