Top Voted Sports Articles

Here are the top voted sports articles:

voted
#1
Cheerleading is a Sport This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     The New York Times states that cheerleading is the fastest growing girls’ sport, yet more than half of Americans do not believe it is a sport. In addition, they fail to distinguish between sideline cheerleaders... (more »)
453 comments
voted
#2
Paying College Athletes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     A new American dream of making a huge living in sports at both the collegiate and professional level is rapidly growing. Today’s youth strive to join the ranks of the greatest who ever played a sport, and... (more »)
12 comments
voted
#3
Drug Testing This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     In recent years, the number of athletes caught using drugs has increased dramatically. Not only are they using anabolic steroids to become stronger, they are also using narcotics and other illegal drugs. Several big... (more »)
6 comments
voted
#4
An Ode To Basketball This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   The ball, the hoop, the court, the shoesThe crowd cheering loudly, never any boosThe sound of shoes squeakingThe tick of the clockThe swish of the ballThe sound of the whistle that ends it all.Fouls are called, travels and... (more »)
7 comments
voted
#5
Jackie Robinson This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Fifty years ago, Jackie Roosevelt Robinson became the first black player to play in a Major League baseball game. The day he stepped onto Ebbets Field on April 15, 1947 he broke the color barrier, and paved the way for other... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#6
Being a Captain This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     I never held as much responsibility as when I was the captain of the cross-country team. Becoming a leader and role model for this group of girls was a new, interesting experience. As an underclassman I never... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#7
The True Meaning Of Soccer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Soccer to many people is a game of intensity where winning is everything. Somepeople have what it takes and others don't. To me soccer is intense, but winningis not everything. Enjoying the game and playing the way that makes you... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#8
Summer Diamond Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   How many people can spend their summers getting down and dirty with some of theirbest friends? I do, and I love every minute of it! For years, my summers havebeen spent on softball diamonds around the United States. When I was... (more »)
49 comments
voted
#9
Ode to Michael Jordan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     Have you ever felt uncomfortable before a big game? Have you ever found yourself in a state of mind where you could hardly figure out if you even liked the sport you were about to play? Have you ever been in a... (more »)
15 comments
voted
#10
The Joy of Surfing This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Imagine you're high in the air, the water is sprayingyour face, the wind is blowing your hair, and you're riding a six-footer. Then... crash, you're down! It's the joy of surfing, one of the world's mostadrenaline-based... (more »)
voted
#11
Badminton This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     “Badminton, a real sport? Are you kidding? Badminton is for girls who have no athletic talent but want to be on a team. There is no way that wussy sport is harder than tennis or track.” That’s the... (more »)
8 comments
voted
#12
Fishing: How To Pick A Good Spot, What Bait To... This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   To pick a good fishing spot, you first need to know what kind of fish you want to catch. Let's say we're going to fish for bass - the best place to fish is in a shallow cove. Here there is a lot of shade, which they seem to... (more »)
4 comments
voted
#13
The Best Moment This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
      Standing to the left of the starting line, I wait impatiently for the race. It’s just a race, I’ve done this hundreds of times, I remind myself, but my stomach won’t stop turning and my legs already... (more »)
voted
#14
The Corruption Of Professional Sports This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Imagine a job where you can play and get paid millions of dollars! Does this job really exist? To the few privileged athletes in the world of professional sports it does.Everybody knows that the salaries in professional sports... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#15
What Makes a Gymnast This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     An athlete with the strength of a linebacker and the grace and beauty of a ballerina ... that is a gymnast. Gymnastics is one of the most dangerous sports in the world and I love it. It takes the body to a whole... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#16
Winning is Everything This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     No.Winning is everything.To a true competitor,a true athlete,an honest man,a worthy opponent.Winning is everything.It is why teams compete.It is why fans pay to watch.Winning is pride.It is what players live for,what... (more »)
7 comments