Hard Work Pays Off | Teen Ink

Hard Work Pays Off

May 29, 2018
By KatyaBlack SILVER, Dennison, Minnesota
KatyaBlack SILVER, Dennison, Minnesota
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I went into this softball season unsure of where I would be playing, either the outfield or infield. My goal for this season was to regularly play infield. I knew this might be a little tricky considering it was a JV team with some sophomores on it, instead of just freshman. Just a year ago, while I was on the eighth grade team, we would always end up watching the JV or varsity games after our practices. I remember watching my sister at third base and thinking that's going to be me next year. Now that I am towards the end of the season, I recognized that I accomplished my goal by playing second base in almost every game. This goal of mine made jume work even harder during practice and showed me that hard work pays off, the good and bad days that come with it, and the bonds and new friendships I have made throughout this sport.
Sports these days are a very competitive thing. You have to work hard to show that you deserve and want to be played in the game. You need to show your coach that you are a hard worker and very importantly, you need to respect them. The hard work I’m talking about isn't just on the field, it's also off the field. To be played in games, you have to show your work through your grades also. This meaning, you can't be failing classes and expect you won't be sitting on the bench. Through this sport I have learned how the hard work I put in, in and off the field, pays off. By learning from their coaching advice and working hard in practice and in school, I have showed them that I want and deserve to be played. Your coaches notice the things you do in practice, even the little things like hustiling or going to get that one ball that went over the fence.
Through this sport I have also made new friendships and strengthened the ones I already had. I know the saying “There is no I in team” is cliche, but in sports like this, it really comes into play. In sports you need to have a strong bond with your teammates and not be selfish or else your team will be weak and not function well. This sport taught me that even if you dislike a person, you still need to support them and show them respect. Softball also showed me how supportive my teammates really are. Say your having a bad day or you strike out when your up to bat, it can be really hard to cheer on another teammate who got a really big hit. I know that if I was that person who got a good hit I would want my teammates in the dugout to be cheering me on and supporting me. This showed me that even if I'm sad or mad about how I played, I still need to support the rest of my team and not get down on myself or anyone else.
During this season, it also showed me the good and the bad days that come with it. Softball can sometimes be a challenging sport. Every time you have a game, you go up against a new pitcher who you’re not used to. They could be slower or faster than what your used to or they could have good changeups. It can become hard sometimes to get used to that pitcher and you may even strikeout a couple times. I know that when I strike out, it feels like the world is over, but I have to remind myself it's not. I have to remember that there's always next time and to not get down on myself. The same thing also kind of goes with the good days. For example, say I get a really good hit. I have to remember to stay humble and to not think I’m the best one on the team, which I know I'm not. I also have to know that when I go up to bat again I might not get another big hit. I have to remind myself to not have too high expectations for myself.
Now going into summer softball season, I will continue working harder and hopefully get to play in the position I would like. I know there will be good and bad days that come along with this season and I'll have to remind myself that there's always next time and to not get down on myself. I hope that this season brings new friendships and strengthens the ones I already have.