A Fractured Dream

I was only 12 years of age, yet I had been playing club softball for almost two years. I had spent this entire time doing all I could to get better at the game I had a passion for.

I was a pitcher. Six days a week, two hours a day, I was on the field throwing pitch after pitch, increasing my speed and accuracy. Such hard work for two years had brought me to the top of the team and I was the ace pitcher. Every important game depending upon me, I was the team's rock. The weight was on my shoulders.

Pitching four games out of six in a weekend, I began to hurt. The end of every game would bring soreness and aches to my throwing elbow. With each game the pain increased, getting worse and worse. Doctor appointment after doctor appointment, nothing was discovered. I was now in constant pain.

Finally news prevailed. A stress fracture. My dream had been crushed. I would warm the bench for nearly 9 months. I would miss the tournaments in Utah and Oklahoma. I would miss the sport I love. My hard work had gone down the toilet. Hard work for nothing. My dream had been fractured.

Angel44 said...
It's hard to stay positive like that. I had surgery in June and I'm still going through physical therapy. I may not be able to pitch again. Even playing 3rd base is questionable.

Skylar B. said...
Well, your hard work wasn't all for nothing. Reemeber once that heals, you can start pitching again, you just have to really watch how much you pitch. Those nine months may feel like the longest in your life but when they are over, you'll hardly ever remeber them

Angel44 said...
Apr. 20, 2009 at 2:40 am
It's sorta funny that you said that because I just recently played in a tournament and it's bothering me again! Ugh I hope it's nothing serious.

I think the farthest I've traveled with club is Oklahoma and I'm in AZ.

Chelsea22 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 18, 2009 at 2:04 am
i'm sorry about what happened to you! =( i hope everything's better now! =D nice story!

i play competitive travel softball too! i love it its
like my fav sport! lol =)