A Game to Remember | Teen Ink

A Game to Remember

By Andrew Born BRONZE, Strafford, Pennsylvania
Andrew Born BRONZE, Strafford, Pennsylvania

My team, Devon-Strafford was in the Mid-Atlantic region semifinal Little League game against New York, and our game was to be broadcasted on MSG, New York’s version of Comcast Sportsnet. Three days earlier, I had played one of the worst games of my life going 0-4 with three strikeouts. I was ready to get revenge, and boy did I ever get it.
In the first inning I came up to bat with a runner on first and no outs, the score was 0-0 but that was soon to change. I feel behind quickly and the count became 0-2. After fouling off eight pitches, I was thrown a ball. The next pitch, I lined over the centerfield wall, for a two run homer, my first homerun of the night. As I touched home plate, my teammates surrounded me giving me high fives and slapping me on the back. I was overjoyed as I reached the dugout, happy that my “mini slump” was over, but not knowing that I was not finished for the day.

In the second inning I came up to bat with runners on second and third. I became very nervous, knowing that I had to execute and drive in at least one of the runners. I pictured myself hitting the ball 300 feet, but instead hit a soft ground ball to the shortstop. Luckily, I was able to use my speed and beat out the play at first base, while advancing the runner from third, and picking up my third RBI of the game.

With the lead constantly alternating from our team to New York’s team, I was anxious for our team to finally pull ahead a little bit. In the third inning, I came up to bat with the bases loaded. My legs were shaking as I walked to the batters box. I knew this was the opportunity for our team to build the lead. The pitcher glared at me as I did my pre at bat ritual. I let the first pitch go for a ball, but the second was a hanging curveball that I smashed over the right field fence. Grandslam! I ran proudly around the bases, listening to the crowd cheering in the background. “Wow”, I thought, “this game couldn’t get much better”, but it did.

After hitting a two run homerun and a grandslam, I was pretty satisfied with how the game was going for me, but I in the fifth inning things got even better. I came to the plate thinking about not hitting one over the fence, but just getting on base. Instead of just getting on base, I reached them all. I hit my third homerun of the game and picked up my eighth and ninth RBIs, helping my team win 13-11,

The next morning I woke up and thought about the amazing night I had just had. As I turned my cell phone on I received over 20 text messages telling my to turn on ESPN and watch Sportcenter’s top ten plays. Our team was staying in a bunk house, so I woke them all up and we went to the rec. room. I was filled with excitement as I turned on the TV, knowing that I was going to be on national TV! I watched as the plays number ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, and two went by. “Could I actually be the number one play,” I thought to myself. The question was answered as I appeared on the screen in front of me. I watched as I hit my three homeruns, while the commentator gave my statistics of the game. I raised my hands in the air, overjoyed at my accomplishments while my teammates clapped for me and gave me high fives.
I know that this is a day I will never forget.