The Bronx Bombers | Teen Ink

The Bronx Bombers

April 13, 2018
By cferrara BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
cferrara BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

With the new MLB season off to an exhilarating start, the New York Yankees appear to be a force in the American League. Starting the season with a 4 and 2 record sends a strong message to the rest of the league that they will not be a team to mess with. From the leadoff hitter to the ninth batter, the Yankees offense will be a force to reckon with.


One major addition to the team includes the newest offseason acquisition in outfielder Giancarlo Stanton. Stanton, who hit 59 home runs in 2017, joins the powerful young duo of Aaron Judge and Gary Sanchez. Judge and Sanchez combined for 85 home runs in 2017, so the Yankees will have three of the top home run hitters in the entire league. In only six games, he has already hit three home runs in the pinstripes, while Judge and Sanchez hit 1 each. Showing that Stanton still has his power from last year, the new murderer's row in the Bronx will be a tough task for every pitcher.


Alongside the trio of Judge, Sanchez, and Stanton, shortstop Didi Gregorius has been playing fantastic. Ever since Jeter retired, Didi has done a magnificent job replacing the future Hall of Famer, showing signs of being the franchise shortstop. This year, Gregorius appears to be a very-early candidate for AL MVP. Gregorius has a white-hot bat, hitting .364 with 8 hits and 9 RBIs. Not only is Gregorius a great batter, but he is also a marvelous fielder; shown by Didi’s sweet backhand versus the Tampa Bay Rays the other day. Gregorius seems to be the staple in the Yankees lineup for years coming, and he certainly is the leader of the team right now.


Obviously, the Yankees have some fire power on the offensive side. The team is playing strong and forceful, and they hope to continue the streak to the first seed in the playoffs this year. Stanton, Judge, Sanchez, and Gregorius appear to be the next great Yankees lineup, and it will be fun to watch them this year.