Overcoming Life's Hurdles | Teen Ink

Overcoming Life's Hurdles

By ReganB BRONZE, Holton, Kansas
ReganB BRONZE, Holton, Kansas

In life we will encounter many obstacles, face challenges, setbacks, or experience failure. Getting past these experiences will often times affect our outlook on life. In my short 17 years, I haven’t necessarily had any real world problems. Sports have always been a very big part of my life, so the most challenges I’ve faced in life have been in sports. My biggest set back ever was in track, my freshman year when I was running my best race of the season and I hit a hurdle and wiped out, resulting in a concussion.

My freshman year I struggled the most. It was hard for me to stay motivated in the sport when I was competing against very experienced upper classmen who ran a quick 15 as I was running a very slow 18. As my season went on I became very discouraged. I worked so hard to be able to three step instead of four step, as my coach had me convinced that three stepping would cut my time down by a second. I three stepped in practice many times but never had the confidence to do so in a meet. The day that I would finally try three stepping in a meet came at the last meet before league. I was feeling confident and ready to go. In a man’s voice I heard, “On your marks.” That’s about when my stomach dropped. “Get set.” At this point, my entire body was shaking. I felt as if every ounce of confidence I had was gone. In the short about of time between “Get set” and the gun firing, I thought of every bad scenario possible. My biggest fear of all was hitting a hurdle and wiping out.

As the gun fired, I took off out of the blocks and made it over all 10 hurdles. I didn’t hit a hurdle, didn’t wipe out, and the best part, I three stepped over half the hurdles, which I was more that satisfied with. The worst part was, that was just prelims.  I went through this same process for finals but one little thing went wrong. On the sixth hurdle, my trail leg caught the hurdle and I wiped out in front of everyone. My biggest fear in track became reality. It happened so quickly I had absolutely no time to react. The leg getting caught on the hurdle caused my body to flip around and the one thing I remember most is the back of my head bouncing off the track. I had a horrible headache and right then and there, I knew my season was over. After getting that concussion and facing that embarrassment, I had my mind made up. I was done with track.

The next year, my sophomore year, when track season rolled around again my decision on being done with track remained the same. I went to my coach’s classroom and talked to him for about 15 minutes explaining to him why I wanted to be done. By the end of the conversation, he had talked me into participating until at least the first meet and if I completely failed, then he would let me quit. I was very annoyed with this deal, but I agreed to it. Looking back, I’m so grateful this compromise was made, because I ended my sophomore season at Cessna Stadium at state track running a 16.7.

After having such a rough freshman year, and being ready to quit due all the obstacles I had to overcome, I am so glad I didn’t give up. This experience has not only given me a different view on sports, but life all together. I have come to the realization that I can’t be always be great at something right off the bat, and I’m going to get knocked down (literally and figuratively), but I now understand, more than I ever have, that putting in a good amount of effort and heart, I can go far in anything I do.