The Basketball Game | Teen Ink

The Basketball Game

By cassypoo819 BRONZE, Greensboro, North Carolina
cassypoo819 BRONZE, Greensboro, North Carolina

Most people love being outside playing around, but for me today was not the best day. Here I am playing basketball with my friends. It was P.E. and we had to be outside in the cold, moist air. Harper and Maddie were on a team, and Grant and I were on a separate team. Maddie, Harper, Grant and I were all just scrimmaging down the black, wet asphalt. I knew I needed to be careful so I wouldn’t slip. We all piled up around each other every so often trying to get the ball from each other’s hands. We ran as fast as we could, to shoot the ball into the metal red hoop. The rims are so thick it’s hard to make a basket.

Running out of breath, I ran up to Maddie to try to steal the ball from her. She dribbled up to me and around me straight to the hoop. Grant got the ball and was getting ready to pass to me, I got ready to catch it and run down the court. The ball left Grant’s hands and headed towards mine, when Maddie ran in front of me and stole the ball. I ran up to guard her, when I felt her leg wrap around mine.

Wham! I was on the ground not knowing what had just happened. “ I think I knocked my tooth out,” I exclaimed in a panicky voice! I lifted my head up as our P.E. teacher, Mr.Kent, came running over as well as everyone else. When I lifted my head up I hear, “Oooooo.” I feel my mouth and all of my teeth were still there. But I tasted blood in my mouth and started to panic even more.

Mr.Kent told me I had busted my lip open. Then he started walking me to the front office. He stopped to get a paper towel from the bathroom for my lip. Before I knew it I was in the office looking in the mirror at my busted open lip, painfully keeping back the tears. I got a paper towel and ice for my lip. I walked back to the playground and saw everyone staring at me as I walked back out the door. At least five people came up to me asking if I am ok, “What happened,” or “Did I cry?”

I sat down on the bench answering everyone’s questions for about ten minutes. When everyone left, I sat there as I started to feel a pain in my wrist. I tell Mr.Kent and he tells me to see if it goes away. I wait as my wrist starts to get stiff and achy. I walk to class when P.E. is over, and talk to my 5th grade teacher, Mr.Jordan, and told him what had happened. I asked him if I could go to the front office for them to look at my wrist. Before I knew it, I was walking back to the front office again. I got to the front office and they gave me another paper towel with ice. They told me to come back at two o’clock. I headed back to class and took a test, while trying to keep to keep the ice on my wrist and lip.

It felt like an eternity, but it was finally two o’clock. I go to back to the office, and I saw a nurse with a lot of supplies. I did not know what was going on. The office staff told me that she was here for me. “ I am here to look at your wrist and lip,” the nurse announced. To me this was a little over the top, because I was fine just in pain. I give the nurse my wrist and she starts examining it.

She starts pressing on different spots on my wrist, so I can show her where it hurts. By the end, she put my wrist in a cardboard box splint, then tells me I should go see a doctor. That day was Friday and it was almost the end of the school day. I knew that my parents are going to freak out when they saw me. But I wasn’t too worried about that.

When I got home I explained everything to my parents. My dad told me that he was going to take me to the doctor’s office the next day. During that time he gave me a spare brace that we had at our house. I did not know what to do, because I was really bored. So I went outside and rode my scooter, which was not very smart. But I had a sitting down scooter. The next day came and I was at the doctor’s office. I was waiting for my results on my wrist, because I had taken x-rays.

The doctor came back and told me I had sprained my wrist. He also showed me the x-rays. I then knew what was going to come of it. I knew I needed to be careful and considerate of others. I will never do this again.