Baseball: The Chicago Cubs | Teen Ink

Baseball: The Chicago Cubs

It was a dark and cloudy day at Wrigley field. The forecast spelled rain, but for the moment it remained dry. It was game four of the 1945 World Series; The Chicago Cubs versus the Detroit Tigers. The Cubs were up two games to one. All they needed to do was win two more games and they would win their first World Series since 1908
Billy Sianis was a Greek immigrant living in Chicago at the time, and made a living running his nearby tavern. Billy was in attendance for game four, and had purchased two tickets at $7.20 a piece, one for himself and one for his pet goat. At first, Cubs security was skeptical about letting a goat into the park, but after a brief confrontation with Billy, they decided to let them pass. It soon began to rain, and Cubs personnel began to have second thoughts about letting a goat into the park as the fans began to complain about the stench of the animal. Eventually park security decided that the goat needed to go, and both Billy and his pet were ejected from the game. Billy was furious, and as he was being escorted out by security, he cursed the Cubs, claiming that they would never win another World Series. The Cubs proceeded to blow game four, and then the series. Since then, they have never made it to another World Series. However, they have come close many times, but each time, a tragic event has occurred, encouraging the theory of the curse even more. In 2003, the Cubs were only and inning and two thirds away from the World Series, when Moises Alou, Cubs left-fielder at the time, went up to catch a fly ball in foul territory and a Cubs fan named Steve Bartman interfered with the play. The Cubs then proceeded to lose the game, and then the series, ultimately ruining their chances of a World Series birth.
Despite the so called “curse” that Cubs are victims of, they have not been prevented from having a rich history. The Cubs have faced adversity throughout their entire history as a baseball team, however, they have persevered and survived through it all. Although they have not won a World Series in over a hundred years, the Cubs are special in other ways. Despite not always winning, the Cubs have one of the most significant histories of any other major league baseball team. Much of this can be attributed to the “die hard” loyalty of Cubs fans and the tradition and importance of Wrigley Field.

Even from the streets, the scent of Wrigley hot dogs can be smelled. The picturesque view of the red and white Wrigley Field sign is truly a sight to behold; a symbol that is permanently cemented into the hearts of all true Cubs fans. As fans enter the park, they are greeted with the familiar unique scent of baseball. There is no place like Wrigley Field. It is the one place in the world where people can go and completely forget the woes and troubles of everyday life and just enjoy the unique scenery surrounding the ballpark. Wrigley Field was built in 1914, making it the second oldest park in major league baseball behind the Boston Red Sox’s Fenway Park. There is no doubt that Wrigley is a special ballpark when compared to others throughout the league. Despite whether or not the team is winning, Cubs fans flock to Wrigley to support their team. There are no other fans like this in the entire country; fans that stand behind their team for one hundred years, always believing that every year is “the year.”

The loyal fans of Wrigley were on their feet. It was the top of the 5th inning. The Cubs were tied with the San Diego Padres at one run a piece. Carlos Zambrano, the Cubs ace pitcher, was on the mound and San Diego center fielder Jody Gerut was at the plate. There were two strikes on the batter, and Cubs fans wanted a strikeout. Zambrano wound up, and threw; it was a high fastball, and Gerut crushed it. The towering fly ball was hit deep to right field, over the head of Cubs right fielder, Kosuke Fukudome, over the ivy-covered wall, and out of the ballpark onto Sheffield Avenue. Cubs fans booed. If the ball entered the seats in the bleachers, the fans would have surely thrown the ball back onto the field, as was the tradition at Wrigley. Then, suddenly to the surprise of the thousands of fans in the park, the homerun ball that had just been crushed came flying over the wall in right field, and landed over the head of Fukudome, despite the fact that it had been hit out of the stadium. Cubs fans were ruthless, and did not take too kindly to opposing players hitting homeruns in their ballpark. Even the people on the street knew when to throw the ball back. This has been a tradition at Wrigley Field for as long as most Cubs fans can remember, and is a tradition that has carried over to other ballparks throughout the country. It is just one of many traditions that Cubs fans have started. Other traditions that were started or made popular at Wrigley Field by Cubs fans are the singing of “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” during the seventh inning stretch and the idea of letting fans keep foul and homerun balls. These are perfect examples of the perseverance that Cubs fans display every single year. Although they don’t always have a winning team to support, Cubs fans display their loyalty in other ways. They have impacted baseball traditions forever, all because they refuse to quit being Cubs fans, and discover new ways every year to support their team. For this reason, they are the most loyal and unique fans in the world, even when they aren’t always winning.

For the past one hundred years, the Chicago Cubs and their fans have been deprived of a World Series victory. Many blame it on the so-called, “Cubs curse,” but despite this adversity, the Cubs have strived to overcome in other ways. Back when the MLB was created, the Chicago Cubs were one of its charter teams. The cubs have continued this tradition of setting the example, despite not always being the best, for the past one hundred years. Their ballpark, Wrigley Field, is one of the oldest parks in the country, and contains an immeasurable amount of tradition that has influenced the Cubs organization in great ways. Cubs fans, although never satisfied with the number of wins in the “win department”, have stood by their team throughout years of disappointment, always believing that they have the potential to win a World Series. This confidence and perseverance is what makes the Cubs so special. They stand out from other teams due to the extreme loyalty of their fans and the traditions that have retained and used to influence the rest of major league baseball.