The Day That Never Comes | Teen Ink

The Day That Never Comes

By Sawyer_Smith BRONZE, Mount Joy, Pennsylvania
Sawyer_Smith BRONZE, Mount Joy, Pennsylvania

"Sleep my friend and you will see that dream is my reality" (Welcome Home (Sanatrium) Metallica)

Playing with the boys is always a ton of fun, except when you play against Manheim Township. They’re always really good at lacrosse and we, the team, always lose to them. The chance of us winning was very slim. One day in the middle of Spring you could smell the beautiful flowers, the air was as fresh as could be, and they sky was cloudless. Everyone on the team was nervous throughout the marvelous day. The adrenaline was kicking in all day long. As time passed by, I started to get more worried. Next thing I know, school has ended and it was time to head to the field. The sky was the same as it was- the adrenaline still pumping, cool air flying at my face and into my flat lungs, the smell of blood came into nose as the time was ticking away.

When game time came along, I was ready to do what I needed to do. The team from Manheim Township, which is right down the road, arrived confident as ever. Our team was small compared to theirs and I thought for sure we were going to be a long night and that we were going to lose by a mile. When it was time for the first whistle to blow, my nervousness and adrenaline levels were through the roof, they were as high as they could ever be, higher than I’ve ever felt it. The first whistle blows and we get the ball first. The guy with the ball passes to the guy to his left who then later passes to me. I back up to the alley which is right behind me. I run to my defender with the top of the stick in my left hand, I switch to my right, I run to the goal, I shoot and I score. I wasn’t expecting to score at all but I did. The team came over to congratulate me. As the game went on we just kept scoring. The other team didn’t score that much at all, which the team was happy about.

The game came to a close and the parents were cheering for us as loud as an airplane about to fly off the runway. The team was going bonkers and coach had the biggest smile on his face. Township, with their heads looking down at their feet, was in disbelief. This was the first time we have defeated this kind of a team. Everyone walks over the field to their parents. Now I don’t know about anyone else but the only thing I was worried about was how long it was until I got home to take a nice long nap. We all said our hellos and goodbyes to everyone and it was time to go home. The environment was perfect so I looked out the window like someone in a movie like Transformers thinking about how we accomplished such a feat. With a horrid smell coming off my body I unpacked my stuff out of the car when we pulled into the driveway. I laid my ginormous bag on the floor in the garage, got my water bottle, and took a shower. I felt a lot better after the nice, warm, and soothing shower. As soon as I got into bed, I passed out. I went to bed in the best mood I will ever feel in my whole entire life. Something I learned from that day is something that I live by day in and day out: never underestimate yourself or teammates or anyone, you never know what could happen, and anyone can be beat.