How Baseball Changed Over Time | Teen Ink

How Baseball Changed Over Time

By Sports21 BRONZE, Republic, Missouri
Sports21 BRONZE, Republic, Missouri

Have you ever played baseball before?, because it is a very important that you know when baseball came into our life. I like to play baseball because it is America's pastime and it is a sport of activities and goals to me because if you get a hit that help your team out and you may score. So this is how the sport has changed over the years have passed in baseball.

Baseball was invented and started playing it in 1839 by a guy named Abner Doubleday in Cooperstown, New York, during the summer of 1839. Doubleday then went on to become a Civil War hero, while baseball became America's beloved national pastime. So then they started get teams together and started playing little games like pick up games. Then in May 4, 1869 the Red Stockings, precursors to MLB's Cincinnati Reds, played baseball's first pro game on May 4, 1869, against the amateur Great Westerns of Cincinnati -- a game the Red Stockings won, 45-9 and MLB first event dated was April 22, 1876.

The very first World Series Game was in October 1,1903. Then On April 15, 1947, Jackie Robinson becomes the first African-American in the major leagues when he plays his first game with the Brooklyn Dodgers. ... Robinson played first base and went zero for three at the plate. And that was the change of segregation  and baseball forever.

While Jackie Robinson playing baseball, he was hated on and called names because he was African American. Also when people did that to him he would gets really mad and he went into the locker room door way and started to cry and beat is bat on the wall and the ground because no one would stand up for him  because it will give him and his teammates a bad reputation. So his white teammates stuck up for him and helped him out with it.
After the MLB signed Jackie, all kinds of other races came into the baseball league. Then when baseball saw that Jackie was a good ballplayer over the years other teams in MLB started watching and looking for African American ballplayers from the Negro League. If  they were as good as Jackie they would  move them  up to the MLB. So they can  play with the white baseball players and Jackie Robinson.

The next African American person that came into the MLB was on July 5, 1947. Center fielder Larry Doby became the first African-American to play for the Cleveland Indians. He was also the first African American player to go directly from the Negro Leagues to MLB. Larry Doby was born December 13, 1923 in Camden, South Carolina. He played for the Newark Eagles of the Negro National League in 1942 and 1943 before enlisting in the U.S. Navy.
Then some other rules that have changed over time is in 1894 they finally started calling bunts that are foul as strikes.When a player makes an attempt to bunt the ball and it goes foul, it is called a strike like any regular swing. However, if a hitter attempts to bunt the ball with two strikes and it goes foul, he is called out. Hitting a foul ball with a full swing and two strikes simply extends the at-bat with two strikes. Another rules that was shaned is back in 1970 and back when it was first started they did not wear helmets but they said in 1971 that all major league players were ordered to wear protective helmets.They started wearing helmets because some of the baseball players were getting hit in the head by the pitcher when they would throw it and it was a wild throw and some have even die from it and stopped playing baseball.Also one of the most famous baseball players that was the first African American ballplayer to play was also hit in the head ones with the ball. Then they started headhunting him to. So that is another reason why the wear helmets today. So that is how baseball changes over the year.

The rules of baseball have changed a bunch since it was created because back in when they first started playing baseball to 1862 the did not have balls and strikes. Then  umpires began calling balls and strikes in 1863. By 1874, a walk was nine balls, but it dwindled down to four by 1889. Also, baseball salaries have changed in a big way because in 1870 a normal ball player would make $10,000 or a little less than $10,000.  Now they make 33 million and lower. For example, Clayton Kershaw makes the $33 million.  This makes him the highest paid baseball player 2017.

I made this piece because I like to play baseball.Then I like all of the histories over it.