Struggles | Teen Ink

Struggles

By Alllison BRONZE, New Bremen, Ohio
Alllison BRONZE, New Bremen, Ohio

Starting in just preschool, Carter wanted to be in the spotlight. Being a small kid, his dreams had no limit. But that never stopped him from trying to succeed them. Carter wanted his name to be known. He wanted to make it all worth something. Obstacles have blocked the path, but through the struggle Carter has made it out and continues to climb the ladder to the top. All of his experiences are an example that no matter what, if you have a dream, chase it.

Seventh grade basketball. During second half of the game, Carter’s team was on offense. Blocking someone on the other team while his teammate dribbled the ball, Carter was doing the best he could to block someone twice his size. The kid bulldozed Carter and he immediately fell to the floor. After falling, Carter lifted his head to continue to see all black. The dizziness came like a punch to the face and the murmuring sounds followed right behind. The trainer pulled him onto the side of the court and had him sit down. Carter wanted to watch the rest of the game, but the light above was too bright for him. The trainer handed him a towel to cover the light from his eyes, and he watched the game till the end. Carter didn’t only feel the pain in his head, he also felt the pain of not knowing what was truly wrong with him. And that hurt him more than anything.

The second one came out of nowhere. Sophomore year. Carter was playing offense during a football game. While running down the sidelines, a player on the other team blew straight into him. Carter and the other player flew onto the sidelines. Not only did Carter’s head hit the ground once, the player landed on his head, making it hit twice. He slowly stood up and sadly realized that he was on the opposite side of the football field. Trying to make his away across the field to the trainer, Katelin, Carter knew he wasn’t walking in a straight line. Reaching Katelin, he immediately began to explain to her that he was perfectly fine. She asked him to stand straight and still. He failed. She asked him to walk on a straight line. He failed. Carter didn’t want to believe it, but he had yet another concussion.

Junior year. Playing Fort Recovery, Austin Shinaberry was running to score the team another touchdown. After fumbling the ball, Carter got the bright idea to dive and retrieve it. But he wasn’t the only one. A player on the other team, who had at least 50 pounds on Carter, dove for the ball at the same time. The sudden hit came with a head to head collision. Carter and the other player hit helmets and both began rolling in agonizing pain. Carter, again, was out of playing the sports he loved for another week.

November, December, maybe even January. This concussion came so fast that Carter doesn’t remember when it even happened. Whenever the football team played Sidney during a scrimmage, Carter was jumping for the ball. Coming down, he fell onto his side and hit his head on the ground. The dizziness came like before, and this time Carter wasn’t confused as to what was going on with him. He knew exactly what happened. Another concussion.

Senior year. Carter and the rest of the football team were playing Delphos St. John’s. Mid game, a certain player kept shoving Carter a little extra. He started getting light headaches but decided to not say anything and keep playing the game. Halfway through second quarter, the player finally shoved Carter hard enough to make him fall straight down.  His eyes started to feel heavy and he couldn’t stand straight. He made it to the sidelines and assured coach he was fine and to let him keep playing. So that’s what Carter did. He tried his best to finish the game. The trainer, Katelyn, finally stole Carter’s helmet and wasn’t going to give it back. After dealing with Carter’s four other concussions, she wasn’t going to let him keep playing and possibly die. Carter was out for the season and had to miss playing when the team played in the state championship game.

With the risk of getting more concussions, Carter has made sure he was cleared to play his senior year of baseball. These five concussions have not made Carter disregard the dreams he has. He continues to try and continues to want to do better. The doctor’s have told Carter that he will most likely not be able to play any sport in college, but that isn’t stopping him. Carter wants to make his dreams reality, and that is what he is doing. He is going to play a sport in college. Through all the obstacles, Carter is getting closer to the top of his ladder. Even with the struggles, he will not miss a step.  He will not miss an opportunity. As Carter’s favorite quote says, “Everything is possible for one who believes.”