Football: A Sport or a Concussion | Teen Ink

Football: A Sport or a Concussion

February 17, 2017
By BKMamba BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
BKMamba BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“ What about Football? Is it a sport or a concussion?” - Jim Murray.  Football is a very fun sport that many people enjoy watching. Parents should pay attention to football injuries and they should pay attention to how their kids are being taught how to play because that plays a big factor in injuries. I’ve been playing football for six years and the way to reduce these injuries is being taught the right way-- which you will see how to soon.

 

The statistics of football injuries show why it’s important to pay attention to these dangers. For instance, there are injuries in many different states, “At least 50 youth football players (high school or younger) from 20 different states have died or sustained serious head injuries on the field,” Concussions are a serious deal because that could be a life threatening injury or an injury that could last your whole life this is why concussions are serious. ( Straus, 2013). Additionally, percentages of high school concussions are very high, “ high school football accounts for 47 percent of all reported sports concussions, with 33 percent of concussions occurring during practice.’’ This evidence shows you the percentage of concussions and you can see 33 percent happens at practice, showing that we should be watching what’s happening at practice (headcasecompany) These are reasons why we should be paying attention to what goes on in practice and how our kids are being taught the game of football.

 

Because of these statistics, parents and coaches should be paying attention to how their kids are being taught how to play football to reduce the injuries. Since parents worry so much about concussions i’m going to give you reason not to worry about this injury.  To clarify a concussion is, “ temporary unconsciousness caused by a blow to the head. The term is also used loosely of the aftereffects such as confusion or temporary incapacity.” If parents and coaches would watch the practices correctly they could stop constant head blows and stop further injury this is why you wouldn’t have to worry. Another example, this is what an expert football league pop warner had to say, “ datalys institute date show that Pop Warner rules and heads-up football training result in injury rate that has 87% fewer injuries than non-heads-up.” This evidence is explaining that with heads up training meaning hitting with your head up not down has 87% decrease in injury rather than not having heads up training. This additional evidence came from stopsportsinjuries and they said, “ tackle with the head up and do not lead with the helmet.” This is what your kid is supposed to do so they won’t get injured. I’ve playing football for six years and I know the  best way to avoid a concussion. If you’re worried about a concussion get your child a trainer to teach them the proper way to hit or just teach them to keep their head up so they won’t get injured or injure someone else. I play for Brooklyn United youth football and we never had any kid suffer a concussion. The reason why is because our coaches teach us to hit with our head up and they always correct us if we lead with our head. I want to show you to show you rules that usatoday want football to be like to make it safer. “ No special teams. Mandate position rotation. smaller playing fields which will measure 40 yards-by-35 yards and require teams to drive length of the field on a fresh possession. Coaches will be required to ensure players of equal size will be lined up against each other. Two coaches to be allowed on the field to organize plays and guide players.” See now just to make a supposed to be a rough sport safe they’re making the game less fun.


Football is a sport that everyone enjoys, it has it’s ups and downs but after reading my article I hope you understand that concussions are a serious injury in football, but you shouldn’t take your child out of the game they love. I say this because there are precautions you could take to reduce the risk a of concussion. But don’t get me wrong though, football is a rough sport. I know because I play it myself and this doesn’t mean make your child soft but, you need to just watch how they’re being taught. I play football myself and I love the sport if my mom told me I couldn’t play that we probably kill me now think of you taking away the sport that your child greatly loves. I want to give you one last information before you leave look at these new rules that make youth football seem boring and I want you to ask your child if they these new rules are better.

 

"COMPLETE." Head Case - Complete Concussion Managements. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Feb. 2017.

"Home." Home. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Feb. 2017.

Sports, A.J. Perez. "USA Football to Test Major Changes to Improve Game's Safety at Youth Level." USA Today. Gannett Satellite Information Network, 31 Jan. 2017. Web. 16 Feb. 2017.


The author's comments:

What inspired me to write this piece is that I really love football and I didn't want to see it end because people wouldn't think on a better way to make the game of football safer.