What To Know When Beginning To Play Basketball | Teen Ink

What To Know When Beginning To Play Basketball

January 30, 2017
By Anonymous

I sprinted down the court feeling great. I was breathing hard, adrenaline pumped through me, and I felt blessed to play the game of basketball. You can have this same experience if you are informed correctly and ready to play. Many people don’t realize that many factors can make this great sporting game more enjoyable. When beginning to play basketball, being equipped, fueling yourself correctly, and learning how to prevent or treat injuries will help you achieve a great and fun start to the game.


If you want to feel comfortable and prepared when playing basketball, being equipped will help you accomplish your goal. Having sturdy, supportive basketball shoes will absolutely make running on the court much safer and more stylish for the sport. Along with your shoes, remember to wear soft compression high socks to protect your ankle muscles and prevent blisters. These socks can be bought in many different colors, appealing to your specific preferences. Obviously, wearing sports clothing is important, but if you are serious about the sport, take time to find loose-fitting and appealing basketball clothing for yourself. This will help you feel more comfortable and ready to play. Don’t forget to have hair ties, headbands, water bottles, and a basketball to play. Many people might look over these small, very important items, but they are crucial to top off your playing materials.

 

Did you know that fueling yourself correctly before and after basketball is one of the most important keys to staying energized while playing? Before you begin playing, make sure you have eaten a light snack to maintain you blood sugars and energy levels. Do not eat a large meal, though, unless it has time to digest for about 2 hours. Water is a very important substance to drink while playing on the court, but also throughout your entire day. While playing basketball, water levels decrease tremendously through sweat, making it crucial to boost your hydration during and after the sport. After playing, your muscles have worked hard, making them tired and in need to repair themselves. These tired muscles may lead you to plopping down on a couch. A protein shake, snack, or meal is a significant factor for muscle repair after any workout. It will also help you feel less hungry and more energized. Without a doubt, sleep is one of the best ways to fuel your body before and after basketball. During sleep, muscles repair and rest, food digests, and the entire body relaxes. At least 7-8 hours of sleep per night is needed to regenerate your body. These fueling tips are very important and can determine your level of performance for the sport.


According to John’s Hopkins Medical University, 170,000 kids ages 5-14 are hospitalized while playing basketball each year, but many of these injuries can be prevented and treated easily. The simplest injury preventer is of course, stretching. Setting aside 5-10 minutes before and after playing basketball can help to lower the possibility of injury and soreness after the workout. Major injuries in basketball include knee and ankle injuries. The best way to prevent knee injuries is to perfect your running form. You shouldn’t pound your feet on the court because it puts excessive pressure on the joints. Another way to prevent knee injuries is to be soft on your landings when jumping, changing running directions, and stopping suddenly. If you are light on your feet, pressure on your knees is reduced, lowering your rate of injury. Ankle injuries can also be prevented in a few ways. A good way to prevent ankle injuries is to not cross your feet when sliding on defense. This causes your body to become off balance, making your ankles more prone to roll. If you are injured, a helpful way to treat it is by using a technique known as RICE. This means rest, ice, elevate, and compress. The RICE techniques will help the injury heal faster than trying to play on it and hoping for the best. It is very important to take care of your body and to know when to stop.


There are many ways to make the start of playing basketball easier and more fun. Take time to find comfortable clothing and equipment for yourself to make playing more safe and enjoyable. Do you fuel yourself before playing this fun ball game? Clearly, this is very important to keep your body energized and ready to play. Keep yourself safe by following steps to prevent and treat any injuries. Picture yourself sprinting down a big court, dribbling the basketball as you prepare to score and win the game with your team. You could play basketball and enjoy it like this scene, being prepared for the sport.
 


The author's comments:

I decided to write this essay because I have a passion for basketball and wanted to share in my love for it by giving advice on how to be prepared, energized, and safe.