The Best Problem to Have | Teen Ink

The Best Problem to Have

By Marty.Pane BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Marty.Pane BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

The Dallas Cowboys started off the 2016 season with a similar sense to the 2015 season. It was deja vu all over again when the Cowboys announced starting QB Tony Romo would be sidelined 8 weeks with a back injury. Most competitive teams would still be able to fight through those eight weeks with a backup quarterback, but after what happened in 2015, it seemed unlikely. In 2015 the Dallas Cowboys had an abysmal record of 1 win and 14 losses without their leader, Tony Romo taking the snaps. That’s why every Cowboys fan’s heart stopped when Romo took a hit to the back in preseason. This time things were different though. The Cowboys 4th round pick from the 2016 draft had had a stellar preseason up to the injury, and many of their players were starting to turn the corner on previous subpar seasons. So how do the Dallas Cowboys have 6 wins and only 1 loss without Tony Romo this year? How did a team that did so poorly without him last year, step it up this year with a 4th round rookie? Dak Prescott has shown that he belongs in the NFL and can handle the spotlight and attention that comes with being the QB for America’s Team. With Tony Romo set to return in one of the upcoming weeks, do they continue with what has been working or hand the team back to their QB of the last decade?

Dak Prescott is the future of the Dallas Cowboys and there is no doubt in anyone’s mind that this kid is special. Along with star rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott, Cowboys fans can agree that they are set for the future with these two young playmakers. Dak Prescott, despite being a 4th round pick, has broken numerous rookie records and boasts a QBR (Quarterback Rating) of 101.5, which accounts for 4th best in the league. This rookie already has the rest of the NFL wondering how they could have passed him up, and how the Cowboys managed to land this hidden gem. Part of Dak Prescott’s success has been due to the Cowboys elite running game, brick wall of an offensive line, and creative offensive scheme. However, Dak has shown to have an elite sense of the pocket, and his mobility has been a great counter to Zeke’s run game. Dak has rejuvenated this team and has left management with a controversy that the team probably did not expect going into the 2016 season. Although this is a tough situation, it is also a very fortunate one. Multiple teams don’t even have one solid quarterback, let alone two.

Tony Romo has been the backbone of the Dallas Cowboys for the past decade. Everyone saw what happened to the team when he wasn’t around. Romo has been one of the best quarterbacks in the league when healthy. The problem is, he never seems to be healthy. Romo has been one of the most injury riddled quarterbacks since his arrival in the NFL. His last full season was 2014, where to be fair was his best season yet and he finished third in MVP voting. Being one of the most scrutinized players in the NFL, Romo’s career stats are astonishing for a player hated this much. Romo boasts a passer QBR of 97.1 which is rated at third on a list of hall of famers and future hall of famers. He also has a pass completion percentage of 65.3 which puts him at 4th on the all time list. Romo has been impressive, and many will say that he has the stats to be a future hall of famer. However, the majority will disagree with that statement, claiming his inefficiency in the playoffs minimizes his chances of making it to the NFL Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. Many fans are scared of bringing Romo back, because of his inefficiency in the postseason. Romo has led the team to only two playoff wins in the past decade, and they have yet to pass the NFC Divisional round. With a scorching hot team filled with young budding stars surrounding him, could this be Romo’s chance to prove the haters wrong given the opportunity?

The majority of Cowboys fans want Dak Prescott to continue to steer the ‘Boys in the direction they’re going. It’s understandable that people are scared of change, and especially when a team is performing like they are now. However, what people don’t understand is that Romo is a good quarterback when healthy. He led this team to a 12 and 4 record in 2014 and caught an unlucky break in the Divisional game against the Packers. That is why Dallas needs to give Romo a shot once he is fully healed. The possibilities for the Cowboy’s are endless with Romo’s return.  If the Cowboys give him a chance when healthy and he performs as well or better than Prescott, then it is his team. If he goes in there and gets injured or has a lackluster performance, then it’s going to be a rough goodbye for Tony. The Dallas Cowboys are such an extraordinary football team right now, that maybe who’s at quarterback won’t effect the team as much as it’s being anticipated. Last time I checked, it won’t be Prescott or Romo running over the defense for 190 yards. That being said a quarterback is essential to every good offense. However in this situation I believe the Cowboys have been blessed. My prediction and is that they do start Romo, and he performs just as well as Prescott. In the perfect world, he will go on to win the Super Bowl and make it to the Hall of Fame when he retires. But the fact of the matter is, whoever the Cowboys start at quarterback will continue to win football games for them.

My love for the Dallas Cowboys, and interest in sports journalism inspired me to write this article. People will get another opinion on this heated debate about the Dallas Cowboys quarterback situation from reading this article.