Trying Something New | Teen Ink

Trying Something New

By Jovannilikealways BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Jovannilikealways BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

Heart pounding, heavy breathing, thinking “Stay calm and do what you have to do.” The whistle blows, my heart sank as if I jumped into the ocean. Then I started to run.

Since I started high school I really couldn’t picture myself playing a sport. When I was younger I played baseball, but not even that. Then my sophomore year in high school. My friend really wanted me to join a sport with her, but knowing myself I hesitated to join. It took me until it came down to the line when it was the first interest meeting .

This sport that she wanted me to join with her was lacrosse. We both played on the varsity team. The reason why was that there wasn’t a ton of people on the team and for her there wasn’t a girls lacrosse team. But the team helped us get use how things worked about the game. The game is very easy to learn and understand.

At practice everyone was equal and we all treated each other like if we were brothers and sisters. Every time I stepped on the field for practice i felt comfortable. I told myself “It’s ok to mess up, just try again.” Seeing some of the veterans that had experience in the game inspired me to stay and give it a try. That was an amazing choice if i say so myself.

A couple games in, our mid field players were tired and i played attack. I was on the bench and the coach called me out to play mid field with some of the others. I was confused because it was a new position for me, But i understood what i had to do. Heart pounding, heavy breathing, the whistle blows. I started to run and did what i had to.

But the overall experience was amazing. I plan to play the rest of my time at high school and maybe collage. I'm pretty happy that i listened to my friend to join the team. My advice is play lacrosse when you're young you’ll get better over time.