My Boxing Start | Teen Ink

My Boxing Start

By kingpapialex777 SILVER, Wilmington , Delaware
kingpapialex777 SILVER, Wilmington , Delaware

lets get ready to rumble

This story will be one of my personal stories that are the most memorable to me. It’s a story of my past, when I started to get into what is known as boxing. Also I will explain about my very first boxing match that I ever participated in. How I also felt about the sport and how nervous I was when boxing. This was basically my start in the sport and how got introduced to it.

I was very young when I started boxing, I was 5 years old and I remembered that the reason why I started boxing was because of my grandfather he was a fighter as well. My grandfather used to be an amateur boxer, he was so close to become a professional fighter but the punishment, head shots, and punches finally came back to haunt him and was forced to stop boxing for good. For some odd reason I just got curious and asked my grandpa what boxing was all about, he proceeded to tell me all about boxing, their rules and their ups and downs. My grandfather then started to train me because I kept begging and kept asking him to start training me, at first he denied because he didn’t want me to get hurt and mess myself up and get brain damage and stuff like that, but after persuading him he ended up agreeing with me and began to train me. I remember when he taught me how to properly punch, I threw a very sloppy punch was what my grandpa would usually tell me. He got me off my butt and in shape, because of all of the hard training sessions that I had to go through I became sore and told my grandpa that I wanted to quit. My grandpa would say that if I was going complain and cry about my body being sore he said that maybe boxing was not my sport, after he said that I denied everything and kept training eventually I got used to being sore and just dealt with it.

Over the years I only trained, I never participated in a boxing match/ tournament. I stayed boxing in my grandpa’s basement. After one or two years my grandpa told me that it was time for me to begin training somewhere else, he showed me a place where he had a friend who was the the owner of the gym that he wanted me to go to. It was something new to me so i was a bit nervous to go to my grandpa’s friends gym  but he felt like it was the best for me. My grandpas friends name was Brandon he was a tall man with stich scars on the edges of his eyebrows. The name of his gym was  B.B.G which stands for Brandon’s Boxing Gym. In there i was taught to do everything from tactical movement, footwork, and many, many combinations. I was taught to use the speed bag and the jump rope, the jump rope was hard to perfect because you needed to go fast with it and I would get hit in my back, and till this day I still have the marks of the rubber rope on my back.

Brandon told me about a boxing tournament after that i came home and asked my parents for permission to fight in this tournament, they were not very interested and said no because they thought that i was gonna get hurt, I went to my grandpa and asked him if he could persuade my parents to let me fight, after a couple hours my parents spoke with me and after a long talk said that i was permitted to fight in the tournament. A day after I went over to tell Brandon the big news, after i told him about what happen with me and my parents last night he started to make me do drills for my prep for the tournament. We did very very hard drills and as always I ended soar in the end later on the tournament  came and i grabbed my stuff I grabbed my gloves, cloth wrap, shorts, boots, and my mouth guard . Finally when we got there I got in the ring, my opponent’s name was Jonny. It was a 5 round fight for safety  reasons so that we wouldn’t get hurt. First round begun I can still remember that I won that round jonny was going around jabbing the whole round, what i did was that i came through with a hook which dropped him to the mat. Second round I won as well, I was going around throwing combinations from jabs to hooks to uppercuts while Jonny was hiding in his guard. Round three was the last round i came through and connected with a stomach blow which led to make him stumble once again, after that they finished the fight and I was declared winner. It was a moment that I will never forget because all of my friends and family and trainers were there to witness the occurred. After the fight I went to eat with my family and friends to celebrate.

In all it’s a moment that I will always keep on my mind for the rest of my life because of what it felt, the feeling of winning and having your family there to witness you win you have your friends, family and trainor’s. I still box till this day every weekend and now the trainings have become more hard. I also participated in a tournament last summer where i made it to the final but did not fight the championship fight because my opponent was injured but i still won any other way.

what inspired me to write this piece was by just looking back into my past my childhood and my family.