Penalty Kicks | Teen Ink

Penalty Kicks

March 4, 2009
By kks0ccer5 BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
kks0ccer5 BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

As the whistle blew ending the game, the score was tied 1-1. My soccer coach called us all over so he could talk to us. 'Girls, listen up.' He said with a serious expression on his face. 'Since this is a tournament, we can't have a tie game, we have to go to penalty kicks.'

A penalty shootout is a goalie's worst nightmare. Players take turns placing the ball on a line 12 yards away from the goal. They take a shot with only the goalie between the ball and the goal.



My coach lined us up in kicking order and we got ready to go on the field. My teammates and I lined up and held hands as we walked onto the field. We stood in silence as the other team took their first shot. It bounced off one of the posts, and went in. Then it was our turn. As our first kicker took her shot, we all watched nervously until we saw the ball go straight into the upper right corner of the goal. It was a beautiful shot that went over the goalie's hands into the goal. The other team kicked three more times with two of their shots going in. Our team kicked two more times with both of our shots going in.



It was my turn to kick and it all came down to me. If I scored, we won, but if I missed, both teams would have to keep shooting. I walked up slowly to the penalty line and set the ball down in the middle of the small, white line. The referee blew his whistle, signaling me that I could kick. I took a few steps back and then ran towards the ball. As I planted my left foot, and drew my right foot back, I could hear the cheers of parents in the background. I swung my foot to the ball, closer, and closer until I heard a loud 'Smack' as my foot made contact with the ball. The ball went sailing through the air. I held my breath as I watched the ball fly right over the tips of the goalie's outstretched fingers. The ball hit the back of the net and I breathed a sigh of relief. I scored!