The Accident | Teen Ink

The Accident

June 15, 2016
By evanmaher SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
evanmaher SILVER, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Weeeoooo, weeeoooo, weeeoooo”


Thirty minutes earlier.


“Bye guys,” my parents shouted up the staircase to us as they were leaving. 


“Bye,” I shouted back from the kitchen with my mouth full of food.  I was just finishing up my lunch as my parents were walking out the door.  I put my dish in the sink, and walked up the staircase.  Twenty minutes of boredom went by, as I tried to figure out an activity to keep me busy.  I peered out my window, and the bright, yellow sun shined in my face.  My eyes glanced over, at the orange deck of the long board in the corner.  I rose from my chair, and went over to the opposite corner of the room to grab the long board.  Another five minutes went by, as I searched the room, looking for my gloves. I opened up a drawer, and there laid a pair of black long boarding gloves.  I grabbed my gloves, walked out of my room, and yelled to my sister, “Emily I am going outside to long board.”


“Okay” Emily answered, and continued watching Netflix.  I walked down the stairs, and right out the front door.  As I approached my driveway, I laid down the long board on the gray stone driveway. I then placed gloves on my hands, so that they were a snug fit on my wrist.  Stepping forward, I placed my right foot on the front of the board, and my left foot on the back.  My left foot hit the ground, pushed off, and returned to the board, and I started to roll down the driveway.  After exiting the driveway, I turned left, so that I would go up the street.  I made my way up, and then turned back, and did this for about five minutes.  A few minutes passed, as I checked my phone, and then I decided that I did not feel like doing the same old thing.
This time, I decided that I would try a new way to long board.  I brought the long board a little ways up my street, and then placed it back on the ground.  When I got on the long board, I did not place my right foot in front.  Instead, I moved my left foot to the front of the board, and had my right foot resting on the back.  Feeling unstable, I did a short little test run.  I thought, maybe this is not the smartest thing for me to try without any safety equipment.  Being lazy, I decided that I would try it anyway, and go on without any safety gear.  I went back up the hill, and laid down the long board, and set up the same way as last time. 


Moments later I was back in the house, laying on my bed, resting, with an atrocious headache.  Blacking in and out, the pain was too hard to bear.  My body rose from my bed, and went over to my sister’s room.  I walked in, and went straight to her bed, and told her about my headache, and what I remembered of what had happened.  Picking up her phone, my sister called my parents, and told them about my injury. 

 

Immediately, my parents realized that it was bad, and called 911.  Moments later, a police officer appeared at the house, and handed me an ice pack.  He then called for an ambulance to come check me out.  For a few moments, he talked to me, and blabbered on about what a concussion was for a few minutes (which I really did not care about at the time). He kept on talking until the ambulance arrived, and proceeded to come into the house.  The EMTs stabilized my neck with a brace, and put me in a chair to get me down the stairs.  At the back of an ambulance, I was met with a stretcher, and transferred on over into it.  I was the ambulance, and my dad also came, and they then took me to the hospital.  When the ambulance arrived at the hospital, I was rolled into the emergency room, where a doctor met me.  The doctor talked to me for a while, and decided that a cat scan was needed.  While waiting for the results of the cat scan, I was moved to a different section of the hospital, where I would spend the next four days of my life at.  Once the results were in, and the professionals had looked at the results, we were informed that I had cracked my skull, and that there was internal bleeding.  At the time, surgery was a potential necessity, but they thought that it was too risky to touch that part of the brain, so instead they decided to see if medication would work.  The doctor prescribed medication, which I would be on for about the next week or so.  On Thanksgiving morning, I returned home, where I rested, watched football, and ate French toast sticks.  I was so happy to finally be home!