Paul Rabil | Teen Ink

Paul Rabil

June 6, 2016
By iank6 BRONZE, Kalamazoo, Michigan
iank6 BRONZE, Kalamazoo, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

PIt all started when Paul Rabil was born December 14, 1985 in Gaithersburg Maryland, a very beautiful city edged by the ocean.  Paul Rabil was a young boy when he started lacrosse.  At the age of twelve when he started, he wasn’t very good and he said, “I want to quit.”  But, Paul started playing wall ball at his house every day throwing and catching the ball, left and right handed, behind the back, underarm and sidearm, Paul practiced this every day.  His parents comment on this by saying,  “When Paul threw the ball at the wall it made a THUD! THUD! And when that stopped he was either done or broke something.” 

 

When Paul started playing lacrosse in high school, at DeMatha, Paul was six foot one hundred ninety pounds, Paul was an average player until his junior and senior year.  During his junior and senior year Rabil, the best middy ever, started getting many scholarships from a variety of teams; schools admiring Rabil included Duke who wanted to give him a full ride. After receiving many awards, including two all-american awards and Washington player of the year, Paul Rabil’s high school career was finished, Rabil thought he was the best ever, he then decided to attend the Johns Hopkins University.  Paul was gleaming, and shining in the light of the colleges.  At the university of Johns Hopkins, Paul Rabil had a I’m-ready-to-take-on-the-world attitude. In his first year he had a combined total of thirty-eight points with fourteen assists and twenty four goals. The next year he also had thirty eight points but twenty five goals and thirteen assists.  His junior year he had fifty three points, twenty seven of them were goals and twenty six were assists.  Lastly in his senior year he had fifty points, thirty six were goals and fourteen were assists.  After two national championships in 2005 and 2007.  In 2008 Paul Rabil was drafted first overall by the Boston Cannons.  Paul Rabil played six seasons in Boston, and four MLL all star games where he shot a bullet at 111 mph.  However in 2014 tragedy struck.  Paul Rabil was playing for the United States International team.  The team played seven games in ten days, then right after that Paul had a Major League Lacrosse game.  Paul Rabil had put too much stress in his foot.  During his first game back from international duty Paul rabil had a Jones fracture in his left foot.  A Jones fracture is a fracture of the fifth toe at the end closest to where the toe attaches to the body.  Getting his foot healed was a hard challenge because with this type of fracture, “He was dealing with the smallest bone in your foot that happens to bear the most weight while getting the least amount of blood flow.  And to heal a bone you need blood flow.” said Paul Rabil’s doctor at the university of Johns Hopkins.  Paul Rabil missed the rest of that year because of surgery on his foot.

 

With a very hard decision to let go of the world's best player, the Boston Cannons traded Paul Rabil to the New York Lizards.  The New York Lizards supposably had the best goalie, midfielder, attackman, drawman, and defender, Paul knew his expectations were going to be high.  The New York Lizards and Paul Rabil started off to a blazing 8-0 start.  But then Paul Rabil went in for his eight month checkup.  The doctor told Paul that he had a chance of breaking the fifty five millimeter screw in his foot.  Paul Rabil had a choice to make.  Paul Rabil decided to play that year and at the end of the season.  After the season ended Rabil underwent surgery.  When Paul had free time when he was recovering he did things he had never done before like taking rookies to dinner and spending time with teammates.  By the beginning of the 2015 season, the intelligent Paul Rabil,fast and strong was healthy and ready to go for the next season.  In 2015 Paul Rabil scored 29 one point goals and  3 two point goals, and 20 assists.  At the end of that year, after all the wall ball, throwing,catching, and shooting the ball, left and right handed, behind the back, underarm and sidearm, and the injury, Paul Rabil, yelling with joy as he and the New york Lizards won a MLL championship.