2008 Season | Teen Ink

2008 Season

By Donnie BRONZE, Charlestown, Indiana
Donnie BRONZE, Charlestown, Indiana

The Red Sox led the AL East division at the start of the year. Surprisingly, they were held close by the Tampa Bay Rays, who later won that division over Boston by about two games.

Boston was thought to be the best team in baseball with an amazing pitching rotation and bullpen, though both of those weren't as good as predicted. Also the Red Sox were told to be good with young players such as Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury, and Jed Lowerie. They came in good hand as Pedroia won the AL Gold Glove and the AL MVP. Jacoby Ellsbury finished in the top of the Rookie of the Year voting and batted .280, while he led the AL with 50 stolen bases.

At the All-Star break, Boston's representatives for the game at Yankee Stadium were Dustin Pedroia, Kevin Youkilis, J.D. Drew, Manny Ramirez, and Jonathan Papelbon.

After the All-Star break, tension grew between Manny Ramirez and Boston's GM, Theo Epstien. Theo clearly wanted him gone. Manny lacked for the team. It took him over six seconds to get to first base. On the day of the trade deadline Manny was sent to the LA Dodgers in a three way trade also including the Pittsburg Pirates. Boston sent Manny to LA, LA sent a pitcher to Pittsburg, and Pittsburg sent outfielder Jason Bay to Boston.

After all the commotion, the Red Sox came together with their new line-up and came out 28 games over the .500 mark. For the fifth straight year, Boston made the playoffs looking to keep their reign of MLB champions. That however did not happen as they lost four games to three against the Tampa Bay Rays in the best of seven. They didn't go down quick though. Tampa Bay took the first three games and led the series 3-0, but Boston came back and tied the series 3-3 before losing game seven in Tampa. That was the second time in the past 4 years that Boston came back from a 3-0 deficit and forcing a game 7.

Now Boston is back in spring training preparing for this season. With new teammates John Smoltz, Brad Penny, Ramon Ramirez, Takashi Saito, Rocco Baldelli, and Junchi Tawaza they are ready to make another run for champions.

This is about the Red Sox 2008 season in a overall view. All comments are apprectiated.