Soccer Informative Essay | Teen Ink

Soccer Informative Essay

February 25, 2009
By Adam Gardner BRONZE, Charlsetown, Indiana
Adam Gardner BRONZE, Charlsetown, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Soccer began somewhere between 200 and 300BC. it was first played in the country of China for competition. The Romans and Greeks played soccer to have fun also. Japan also enjoyed the sport of soccer.
The first progress and growth of soccer began in England. The first ball used in England was the head of a Danish brigand, but back then there weren't as many rules as there is now. Back then you could, kick, hit, bite, and gouge at the other players. In that time soccer grew so popular that soldiers would skip archery practice to go watch a game.
In 1365 King Edward III banned soccer because of the growing violence that was occurring on the field. In 1815 soccer was unbanned because of its popularity in some universities. The English college (Eton) came up with the first set of rules were adopted like being allowed to shin kick, trip, and carry the ball.
I October of 1863 the modern day fundamental rules of soccer were made. After that there were no more Rugby rules in the game of soccer. In 1869 it was like the baby boom for soccer. It grew rapidly to where even sailors and British traders payed the sport.
At this point in time soccer was just starting to spread to SOuth America, Germany, and other parts of Europe. Between 1900 and 1940 there were over five different leagues out of these countries for the sport of soccer. Such as the FIFA, which was established in Brazil. The sport of soccer has been observed and admired for over 3000 years and its popularity continues to grow.

The author's comments:
The purpose of this report is to inform the reader where soccer came from and how much it has evolved sice it started.