Swim Meet | Teen Ink

Swim Meet

March 4, 2016
By HavenVinyard SILVER, Hemet, California
HavenVinyard SILVER, Hemet, California
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Today I have a swim meet. Now probably most of you reading this don't really know what that is, so here are the basic rules for one. First off they last all day so bring something to do in your free time. Secondly they are either really hot or really cold so make sure you pack accordingly for the day you go. Thirdly if you're like super white, like almost Casper white cover up! Even if there are no clouds out you'll get burnt some how. Fourthly always have a snack or bring money for the snack bar there. And lastly never miss an event! If you miss an event you'll not be able to swim any more races that day.
         

Now if the refs are allowing the swimmers to draw on each other, I say draw all over your friends and they'll draw all over you. Just make sure if you have a test on Monday you scrub it all off or else the teachers may think you're cheating and give you a zero instead of the hundred you deserve.
         

One of the best/ worst things about being a swimmer is how tan you get. Like I'm super tan and all my friends they're all like I wish I was that tan, the later in the day we're all changing in the locker room they go “ Haven umm… how come you have a turtle shell on your back.” And I'm all like “What turtle shell?” Then they say this one and point to my back. And I say “Do I look like a TMNT to you? ‘Cause last time I checked I wasn't Michelangelo. And no that is not a turtle shell on my back instead it's just a tan circle on a white body from my swim suit.” And they're  all like “How come there's a hole in your suit?” And I'm all I say is “It's designed that way.”
         

Another good thing about swimming is that when people start talking about their sports and how hard they are while you just smoothly slide into the conversation and talk about swimming. ‘Cause when they hear you're a swimmer and all the sets and hours you do practicing they automatically think you've gone to the olympics or something. And when talking to non-swimmers about your sport they always interrupt and be all like “Wait so you did ten one hundreds as one of your sets last night at practice?” And all you say is “Umm… yeah.” Then they're all like “Woah that's like so much. That's like a thousand yards like how can do that? I wouldn't be able to do that.” And they just go on and on and on like they're worshiping the ground you walk on now because you know how to swim better than them but it's also like a visa versa effect though because you like worship the ground they walk on because they're better at running than you.
         

Another good thing about swimming if you're like a good enough swimmer because you've been competing in the sport for seven years straight the coaches start using you as a demonstration for the whole team. So at meets and everything the one person they come to for guidance or pep-talk before their race because they're nervous is you. So every person who needs a pep-talk needs a different one from the last because everyone is different. Like maybe one of the kids likes to water polo and not so much swim then you tell him that the sooner you get the race over with the sooner polo season would come. Next thing you know this kid is pulling out like two minutes flat on a two hundred free.
         

But what you really want to keep up on in swimming is grades because that's like what keeps you in swim if don't do well on grades then you'll be kicked out of swim and not allowed to come back until you have good grades again. So to keep up on your grades just bring the assignments with you to meets and work on them. Instead of playing games on your phone.