My Everyday Life | Teen Ink

My Everyday Life

By catiekodada SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
catiekodada SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

“Point your toes girls! Full out! Smile!” my coach yells everyday. Guessing by the
pointing of the toes, you might have guessed that this is about dance. Dance is part of my
everyday life. The three topics I will be sharing with you today are: practices, competitions, and
overall feelings. 

Practices can be all fun and happy. Towards the beginning of the season, it’s pretty fun.
Learning a new dance and team bonding. Like in the movies where the team can get along, and
have fun. Then when we have to start actually working, it gets pretty hard.  Most of the time
when it’s a stressful week, everybody is mad at everybody. Stress fills the air. Especially when
it’s a full out day. When the dance is what it’s like when you perform. Kick your highest, do all
the jumps. But the best days are Fridays right before a competition, when we basically do
nothing but have fun. We all get pumped for Saturday, because what dancer doesn’t love
performing?

Competition Saturdays can either be a good day org a bad day. Either you hear your
name get called or you don’t. But there is a lot more that goes into a competition than just
performing. The hair and makeup just really isn’t all that great. Hair is gelled to your head, and it
doesn’t move at all. Its glued, it literally feels like glue. Makeup just isn’t fun, when tons and tons
of makeup is on. It just kind of looks like Kim Kardashian.

Hair and makeup aren’t even done yet and the coaches rush out the door down to mark
time. Sweaty after marking the dance, the feeling of makeup just running off. But once you
actually perform the dance in front of the audience, you just get so pumped, that words can’t
explain. At awards hearing your name is just so happy and makes you want to run a million
miles. 

Overall feelings of dance just depends on the day. When everyone is sad and mad, you
just kinda want to quit. But after performing and everyone is just so happy and pumped. It
makes us realize why we all dance. Why we give up so much of our lives for dance. Why we do
stuff to our body that isn’t normal. We dance because it’s a way to hide away from the bad days.
Dance just let’s us express ourselves. Dancing makes us feel like we can conquer anything. 
Practices, competitions, and overall feelings are just some of the things about dance.

Dance is just what I love to do. It makes me forget the day and just let me be myself. Even
though all the coaches do is yell at practices. It really does help us in the long run. Dance is just
amazing.