Hard Work Pays Off | Teen Ink

Hard Work Pays Off

By BennyV25 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
BennyV25 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

I have always been told that hard work can lead to positive outcomes. One person I know that works his hardest to get to his best potential is an eighteen year old high school senior,who pitches and plays outfield for the Bomber Baseball team.

Hunter R, known by his nickname “Nards”  has grown up in Cannon Falls, with his brother Lucas, and his sister Kalyn.  Life has not been easy, so he decided to focus on activities that made him happy. One of those activities includes baseball.

Baseball has played in a key role with establishing a relationship with his siblings. His brother, a 2009 graduate was a pitcher and a middle infielder for the Bomber team. Kalyn played softball, and had great success. Both Lucas and Kalyn were named All Conference their senior years of high school, and Hunter is still awaiting that vote.

In 2014 Hunter, a sophomore, made his first Varsity start against Rochester Lourdes, a really great baseball team at the time. Thoughthe Bombers made the win 11-10, Hunter’s first memory came in the 3rd inning. When I asked his coach, he told me that he had given up a grand slam. When I asked Hunter why, he just chuckled and said,“The pitcher who I was against  had dug a hole that looked like he was trying to go to China.” After that, he made three more pitching appearances with the team before the end of the season.

When he realized that he needed to do some work, in his offseason he began to hit the weight room. Though it made him stronger and faster, he had one little incident. When he was executing a clean and jerk, his fingernail and parts of his finger tore off. We still have a good laugh about it even to this day. It  took two months, but it eventually healed. Then he was ready for his junior baseball season.

During his junior season, his starts began to increase more and more as he had gotten better overall with his pitching and his trust of the defense behind him. One of his finest moments during that season came in Stewartville, when he shutout the Kasson-Mantorville Komets in the semi final of the sub-section tournament.

“I just trust my defense,” Nards said during an interview with the Red Wing Republican Eagle,“Striking out people is a great bonus, but when you trust your defense, you can throw strikes and let them get the outs.” The season came to a close two games later. And now he still shows up for the workouts he has done last year to get ready for his final season with the Bombers.

Hunter works very hard to get to his goals in sports, and in school. His hard work ranges from lifting weights, to running, and attending sessions for hitting and throwing. He works with Tanner and Trey Vavra, and they are both in the Minnesota Twins minor league organization. He  emphasizes on the need for proper pitching and throwing techniques. Showing the proper way to pitch is one of his greatest attributes.

Hunter may be a great baseball player, but he is a great relative. I have the privilege to be one of his many cousins. He has guided me in order to become a  great pitcher, and a friend.