Basketball Tuning | Teen Ink

Basketball Tuning

January 12, 2009
By Anonymous

If sports could be more, could show more, could own more this sport would have sound…
It would have the sound of a basketball game; a player’s heart pounding with every dribble, of the net cheering with joy after a slam dunk, and the loud buzzer after the nail-biting game is over. It would have the ear ringing sound of the ref’s whistle, and the gym’s loud echo. It would have the sound of shoes squeaking on the court-but it can’t.
Sports can’t have sound.
If sports could be more and own more, and give more, this sport would have sight...
It would have the sight of a crowd ecstatic with excitement, the coach’s flustered face from a bad call. It would have the sight of the last huddle of the game with only a few seconds remaining on the clock, the crowd in aw from a close defeat, and the spunky cheerleaders showing their spirit. It would have the sight of an excellent play that ties the game-but it can’t.
Sports can’t have sight.
If sports could be more, and own more, and give more, this sport would have touch…
It would have the touch of rough grips on the basketball, the touch of the smooth wood floor as the player falls, and the touch of the opponent’s slippery sweaty skin. It would have the touch of the refreshing cold water running down their face, and the vibrations in your chest from all the movement-but it can’t.
Sports can’t have touch.
If sports could have more, give more, be more, show more, they would still need readers who bring to them sound, sight, touch, and all the rest that can’t be in sports.
The sports need you.


The author's comments:
Based on “Tuning”
By Gary Paulsen