America's Pastime | Teen Ink

America's Pastime MAG

February 8, 2016
By tvaughn18 BRONZE, Ripon, California
tvaughn18 BRONZE, Ripon, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The rhythmic crunch of cleats pelting the warm asphalt is an indescribable sound to fans everywhere. The sport that demands attention, draws millions of fans, and attracts people of all types is America’s finest. America only has one favorite pastime, and that is baseball.

Baseball was introduced in America in 1845. Since then, the sport has grown exponentially. It was born into modern times as the New York Knickerbockers stood as the first team to play under current rules. Before the Civil War, baseball was purely an amateur hobby. But that “hobby” was destined to become a national obsession.

The love for the pop of the ball in glove and the smell of Cracker Jack in the ballpark swept our country. One of the most notorious reasons for baseball’s rise to fame in America was George Herman “Babe” Ruth. Ruth, also known as the Great Bambino, the Sultan of Swat, or the Big Bam, was a national hero. The Babe will go down in America’s folklore as one of the most important athletes ever. Fans were obsessed with Ruth, as he led the New York Yankees to four World Series victories. Known for his amazing power, every time the Babe came to the plate, tightly gripping his bat but still looking as calm as ever, every person around the nation knew that he was going to murder the ball. Babe Ruth is an important part of not just baseball but American culture.

Baseball kept growing. In the 1940s many of America’s best players served their nation in World War II, but this didn’t stop the sport’s momentum, and game attendance spiked in post-war times. The sport hit a major milestone in 1947, when Jackie Robinson became a member of the Brooklyn Dodgers and the first African-American player on a Major League Baseball team. Robinson was admired for his speed, his jaw-dropping power, and his love for the game. There wasn’t a moment Jackie wasn’t hustling. Robinson not only changed baseball, he changed America.

Some of the sport’s best players followed soon after Ruth and Robinson, including Willy Mays, Ted Williams, and Yogi Berra. These players impacted our country, making every young American boy dream of becoming the next player to wear Yankees’ pinstripes or Giants’ orange. Baseball was a sign of hope in tough times and has always kept America intact. No other sport in our history has had such an impact on our culture. 

Baseball is also very easy to play; all you need is a glove, a bat, and a ball. Many movies, including “The Sandlot,” depict the joy that comes from being with your buddies, feeling the warm sun on your neck, and tossing a baseball around.

Baseball has hit its peak in the present. One of the most critical times in America’s history was September 11th, 2001. As the country stood shaken by terror and loss, baseball was there. Baseball symbolized the resiliency and persistence so deeply rooted in America. Fourteen days after the attacks, at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, baseball helped America show how united we were as a nation. When the Yankees trotted out of the dugout, on the beautiful night highlighted by New York’s awe-inspiring skyline, the NY on Jeter’s hat didn’t represent the Yankees or New York; that NY stood as a symbol for America, that it would not be knocked down. When the President threw the first pitch, we felt fearless, not terrorized. Baseball brought the American people together. That day even Red Sox fans were Yankees fans.

Today, baseball is still a major part of our nation. The Yankees attract an average of 40,000 fans per home game. Americans rejoice at the signs of spring because that signifies baseball is right around the corner. Every aspect of the game, from the neatly trimmed grass to the unity of any Major League team, are all reasons baseball is the best game ever played. It’s no wonder the sport is a major part of American history. Baseball truly deserves the title of America’s pastime.


The author's comments:

This piece was inspired by my love for baseball, and the love I have for having the luxury to live in America. I hope people get a sense of love for the game, such as I do. I also hope readers can feel like they know a little more about baseball's history after reading as well.