NHL All Star Game | Teen Ink

NHL All Star Game

By pcbreault00 BRONZE, Danielson, Connecticut
pcbreault00 BRONZE, Danielson, Connecticut

This weekend will be the annual NHL All-Star Weekend in Nashville, TN, but unlike previous years All-Star games  this year’s game (or should I say games) will be interesting to watch. Instead of the old fashioned 5 on 5 game between Eastern and Western Conference teams this year there will be three games of 3 on 3 hockey between each of the four divisions  (Atlantic, Metropolitan, Central, and Pacific) with the Central division facing the Pacific in a “Western Conference” game and the Atlantic division facing the Metropolitan in a “Eastern Conference” game with the Winners facing each other in a final game. Each game will last 20 minutes (for those who don’t really watch hockey that’s one period in a regular game) and at 10 minutes the teams will switch sides. If a game ends in a tie then they will have a shootout. Each team will have 1 captain which the fans vote for and 10 players the NHL Operations Department will select. This year's captains will be Jaromir Jagr (Atlantic), John Tavares (Metropolitan), Patrick Kane (Central), and John Scott (Pacific). Jagr, Tavares, and Kane are all NHL stars who have had great seasons, but John Scott is an interesting choice for a captain he has only played 11 games and has 1 point ( an assist). The NHL has tried to keep him off the team and get a new captain, but the fans protested and the NHL let him stay. So next year to avoid this incident the NHL will have new rules for voting so the players can go the All-Star game fairly.