A Frustrated Fan | Teen Ink

A Frustrated Fan MAG

February 26, 2009
By Matt Scheff BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Matt Scheff BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

When the NBA season approaches, I am forced to recall one of the most frustrating decisions I ever made. Sadly, I am a New York Knicks fan. For the past few years, I have watched the Knicks underachieve on the court and earn a reputation as the laughing stock of the league. They continually reach all-time lows and are truly a thorn in the side of my sports fandom.

I find myself sitting on my couch night after night, yelling at the TV as I watch the Knicks play. The occasional win is no longer exciting but instead shocking. A win is like a 70 degree day in winter – it is possible but unlikely. When the Knicks do win, my thoughts are no longer good; rather I am upset that they have just decreased their chances at a better draft pick.

At the beginning of every season, I have some small hope because of a new player or coach, yet I have learned all too well that the Knicks are destined to come in last despite any off-season transaction. For instance, a few years back, the Knicks signed perennial superstar Stephon Marbury. Marbury had the second biggest contract in the NBA at the time – $21.9 million a year – so I expected him to be moderately decent. However, since he came to New York, he has been nothing but a head case and distraction to the team. As a fan, it’s hard to root for someone who has been embroiled in a lawsuit and had issues with teammates as well as all the head coaches (the revolving door of coaches is another issue).

Additionally, the Knicks spent close to $30 million signing center Jerome James. In his time as a Knick, he has played an average of seven minutes per game in 88 of 246 possible games. Again, it is hard to root for someone who gets paid so much to do so little.

There is an old saying, “If you don’t have a solution, don’t bring up the problem.” Ordinarily, I agree, however as a fan in this situation, I cannot keep quiet. Do I sit back and waste my time and effort watching a miserable game, or do I continue to boo them and express my frustration? While my voice alone will not change the franchise, writing articles like this one might. I know I am not alone in my frustrations with the Knicks; there are plenty of other fans out there who want the Knicks to be a decent team again.

I don’t know why I chose to be a Knicks fan. They have been awful since the day I started rooting for them and have only gotten worse. However, as much as I criticize them, I strangely still love them. No matter what I am doing, the Knicks are always a fun distraction. I can only dream that some day the Knicks will be mediocre enough for me not to be embarrassed as a fan. If I am lucky, I may even see them make the playoffs. But then again, they are the Knicks, so you never know.