Football Journey | Teen Ink

Football Journey

There was a kid named Chad. His dream was to play football. Chad always loved it and every year that he played he never was a starter. Even though he work as hard as even though Chad worked as hard as everybody else did. This year chad promised himself he was going to be a starter. But he knew that was going to be hard because there was people bigger and much stronger. He told himself in order to start he had to work everyday of the summer. So every single day him and a couple of friends would go and play football and go over all the plays that his coach put online.

Chad knew he had to work hard and fast because football practice was starting in a couple weeks. They would be working on plays at their high school all day long because he wasn't the only one that wanted to start. So school is starting the following week and now he can't spend as much time going to the high school because he has to get ready to go to school.

Him and his friends are really excited because practice starts in one day and they are hoping that they get a chance to start because they know that they know more than other players. So the day after their first practice their coach talks to them and he tells them that he wants them to start practicing with the first string guys. this is their opportunity to start like they wanted to. Their first game is in a day. Coach told them that he wants them to come to the field early after school before the game so they can go over plays.

It's time to start the game, and they are on the field warming up before the game.The crowd slowly starts to enter the stadium. Both teams go to the sideline and wait for the national anthem to start. He is excited because he is on kick off. He has never been on kickoff before and he didn't really know what to do because they didn't really go over it much in practice. As they kick the ball he runs down field and sees this huge guy running his way he tries to go around him but the kid just puts his shoulder into him and knocked him onto the ground. It took him awhile to get up cause he wasn't use to getting hit like that. As he ran back to the sideline he went straight to the water. He didn't think that it would be that tiring. Coach told him he needs to be ready because he was going to be going on the field soon. He was really nervous because he never thought that he would have a chance to start in a football game before. As the offense run out on the field and get in a huddle they run and get set up on the line. The quarterback yells hike and his receivers all went out for a route, Chad was the only one open down field, his quarterback throws a bomb down field to him and nobody thought that he was going to catch it and he stuck his arms out and dove for the ball and caught it! Everybody on his team was so surprised that he caught it. He was even surprised himself. They go back to the huddle to call the play. His quarterback looks at him and tells him that the ball is going to be thrown to him again. They break the huddle and run up to the line. He lines up and gets ready to run the play. The quarterback hikes the ball he runs out and gets open, the quarterback throws the ball and chad jumps up to catch the ball and comes down landing on his ankle. The play is over but he is laying on the ground and cannot get up. The trainer runs out on the field to see what's wrong with him. He tries to get up and walk but he just falls right back down to the ground. The trainer thinks he broke it, so they call the EMS and get him to the hospital. All he is worried about is not being able to play football again, thats all he wants to know if he can play again.

Hours later as Chad is waiting in his room, the doctor comes in and gives him the results. He tells him that it is broken and he will be out for at least 4 weeks. The doctor tells him that it might be so bad that he might have to get surgery. Chad did not like the sound of that at all, because he knows that if he gets surgery he's gonna be out longer than 4 weeks. He didn't want to get surgery but he had to because he hurt his ankle really bad.

“will I be better before states?” Chad say. the guy looks at him like he is crazy.

“no way. You're going to be out for a while! You're not going to be able to play until you are fully recover.”

Chad puts his hands over his face like he was going to cry.

“So i've waited so long for this game and you are telling me i can't play in it!?”

“I'm sorry, there isn't much i can do about it.” the doctor says.

“Alright i understand. just do the best you can to fix my ankle again.” Chad says to the doctor.

“Okay now you have to wait until we can get you x-rays.” the doctor say.

“Well what are we waiting for let's go get x-rays!”

You have to wait a little bit longer we are not ready to give you x-rays yet.”

So he has to wait about 30 minutes until the doctor can take him in to get x-rays because he has to do other things before he can take him.

“How much longer is this stuff going to take!” Chad says as he gets tired of waiting.

“You just have to be patient with us!” the doctor says to him as he is getting frustrated. They take him in to get x-rays and it doesn't look good. It looks like he will be out longer than the doctor told him. The doctor doesn't know how to tell him that he will be out for a while and there is nothing he can do to make it better.
He walks out of the room holding the pictures walking up to Chad.

“I have bad news for you” the doctor say.

“What is it doc?” chad says.

“I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you are going to be out longer than expected.”

“What do you mean?” chad says

“The break is very bad and you are going to have to be on crutches or in a wheelchair for a long time until your ankle is completely fine”

“It can't be that bad! there has to be something you can do please!”

Chad says as he has the saddest look on his face.

“i'm sorry but there is really nothing we can do”

Chad puts his head down and just sits there thinking about how this injury may ruin the rest of his life. He knows it will never be the same again. He knows that he can't play basketball and he knows he will never run the same again. He doesn't know what to do or what to think. He just knows that it's all over for him.