The Phone Call | Teen Ink

The Phone Call

A tear rolled down my cheek, the smell of sweat and grass filled the car. Why did I have to choose? 10 minutes earlier I was given the choice: stay and play in the championship game, or drive home to make it dance. As I sat in the car on my way to the dance studio I constantly checked my phone for updates on the game that I was no longer playing in.

It was nine in the morning, a thin layer of frost covered the light green grass on the field. It was mid December, so the fields in Temecula got pretty cold in the early mornings. As I looked around I saw a couple of my teammates running and slipping on the icy surface, but not me. I was listening to my usual pre-game music album to get ready for the tough semi-final game that was approaching us quickly.

“Paige!!!” my coach yelled.

“What? Oh sorry,” I said softly realizing that I still had my headphones in and it was time to warm up.

“Everyone huddle,” my coach nagged. “The game is about to start. You guys can do it.”

When the ref blew the whistle it was halftime and we were tied 1-1.

“Ok girls, lets win this game,” my coach sang out.

“ Fsshoooo!!! Fsshhooo!! Fsshhooo!!” the ref’s whistle hollered over the screaming parents. The game was over, and we had won 3-1. As we sat panting and gulping down our icy cold water our coach went to talk to the refs.

When he turned to come back his face hung low, his eyes staring into the ground, “ I’m so sorry girls,” he paused, “but we made it to the championship!!!”

Everyone jumped up screaming, well everyone except me. I knew that I had dance later that day and if I was going to make it I would have to leave...now.

“Hello?” my dance instructor questioned into the phone.

“Um… hi it’s me Paige,” I answered back in a soft tone.

“Oh hi Paige!! Can’t wait to see you this afternoon. What do you need?” She hollered into the phone.

I stood for a moment, not knowing what to say. “ Umm I was just wondering if  I could miss rehearsal today? I have my championship soccer game in just an hour in Temecula, and everyone is counting on me to be there.”

There was what felt like an hour of silence, of not knowing what was going to happen next. “No,” she demanded in a soft yet terrifying tone.

“If you miss rehearsals today then you will no longer be the lead.”

I was completely frozen. As I glanced up from the ground tears filled my eyes. I saw my whole team standing, staring, waiting for the verdict.

“Ummm ok,” I whimpered not having any other words come to my mind.
My team gathered around, “What did she say? Are you gonna stay,” they hollered at me excited for the answer.

I didn’t know what to do. “Which road should I take? Where do you want to go? I don’t know. Then it doesn’t matter.” This quote from Alice in Wonderland rang through my head like a giant siren on a cop car.

“I’m going to dance,” I whined, “I have to go to dance. I’m sorry but it’s just more important right now.”

As we packed up our stuff and loaded up the car I tried my hardest not to break into tears. I said goodbye to my team, wished them good luck and got in the car. With that, I was on my way home. Several tears away from hysterically crying. I knew however that this was the right choice.

Dance is my number one passion and because of this choice I now realize it. Being the lead at that performance has opened up many new opportunities at my dance studio. Now I’m very happy that I chose to go to dance that day. As of today I am in fact playing soccer again but dance is still my priority. I now know how much my choices affect me and that if I follow my heart it will never leave me astray.