The Big Game | Teen Ink

The Big Game

By Alex Brettell BRONZE, Cave Creek, Arizona
Alex Brettell BRONZE, Cave Creek, Arizona

This one game could be the difference between a medal and going home with nothing. It was a late Sunday night and it was our first championship game and probably our last. As we began to warm-up we watched our nemesis on the other side of the field. We stared one another down until the referee blew the whistle and the game started. The team we were playing that night was our enemy from games before. That night was about the fifth time we have played them and every time we have came out with a win. In spite of that, this was the most important game because we were playing for a medal. At the end of the first half the score was tied 0-0.
After a couple minutes the second half began and my team exploded with energy. We were keeping possession of the ball just enough to get our first goal. I take off on a break away and play a through ball to or right wing and he takes it in for a goal. Minutes later the opposing team responds with a goal of their own to tie it up 1-1. With game on the line and minutes running down, we knew we had to do something fast. After we steal the ball away from them we our now on the counter attack. The ball comes to me and I play a through ball once again to the right wing for a one-two. As the ball comes back to me I slam it into the side net for the leading goal! My team cheers with excitement knowing our win and first medal is minutes away. We play hard defense and keep possession as much as we can because we know that we do not need any more goals. Then, the whistle blows and the game is finally over. We have one the game and our medal that has been waiting for us. Our coach gives out the medals and we can go home now with pride around or necks.