Minute left in the 4th quater | Teen Ink

Minute left in the 4th quater

By Seung Hwan Kim BRONZE, Saltsburg, Pennsylvania
Seung Hwan Kim BRONZE, Saltsburg, Pennsylvania

60 seconds left in the 4th quarter and I am dribbling the ball down through their tight defense. We are losing by one point and coach is telling us to hold the ball until the last 15 seconds. Defense is tight, but not too tight since the opponent doesn't want to foul. If they do, we get two free throws which can change the result of the game. We just pass the ball. After making few safe passes, 10 seconds have passed, leaving 35 more seconds to hold before we can shoot. My teammate gets double teamed but I go up to him and receive his pass and get a wide open chance at a three pointer. I want to shoot, but coach yells at me like a crazy monkey to be patient. I know I'm going to make it. When my feet are about to leave the ground to shoot the ball, I see a defender running up to me like a mad lion to block my shot so I pass the ball to the corner. Five seconds passed, and the defense is getting tighter, and tighter like my underwear. I have the ball again but I can't do anything since I am trapped like a mouse in the corner. While I am trapped, the defender's hands get on the ball, so I call time out. After the time out, we finally have fifteen seconds. Now we have to shoot. However, we can't even put the ball inside of the arch since they are using a full court press. When two of the opponents double team me, I see an open guy under the basket. I throw the ball to him like the quarterback of the Steelers' but somehow my pass lands in my opponent's hand, and now we have 6 seconds. I immediately foul him, and he gets a one-on-one free throw. I am standing behind the shooter, wishing for him to miss. I mutter, 'miss, miss, miss, miss, miss!' The ball hits the ring and roles around the ring twice and the ball stops at the tip of the ring and after few seconds, the ball drops. When I see the ball coming out of the ring, I was a cheetah running towards to the other side of the court. The rebounder sees me and throws the ball up in the air and it lands right in my two hands. 1.5 seconds left, and I'm right under the basket. I take a fast but deep breath and as usual, I jump as high as I can and roll the ball to the hoop. When the ball leaves my right hand, the buzzer ends the game and I hear another sound, 'swish.'

on Nov. 4 2015 at 11:53 am
Leewill30 BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
I like your short story especially the imagery was outstanding. “The defense is getting tighter, and tighter like my underwear. I have the ball again but I can't do anything since I am trapped like a mouse in the corner.” That is pretty funny and also a good description on how good their defense was on you.

cavalier87 said...
on Mar. 8 2010 at 12:47 pm
yeah! no kidding

on Feb. 18 2009 at 1:22 pm
Trevar Ondiek BRONZE, Silver Spring, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
Great Job Peter, you are an awesome writer

Kiskiboy said...
on Feb. 11 2009 at 3:21 pm
Very well written peter, this deserves to be published in the magazine.

on Feb. 8 2009 at 11:27 pm
승환이 짱 ㅋ

Boa said...
on Feb. 8 2009 at 10:32 pm
Good Good Good

upload some more writings if you have time~^^

money said...
on Feb. 8 2009 at 10:20 pm
I can feel the tension of the last minute of the basketball game from this writing!!

Very well written.

hello said...
on Feb. 8 2009 at 2:09 am
Very good writing~

I like the description of the situation