The Free Throw

Boom! Boom! Boom! The sound is carried from the oak floor to the echoing brick walls surrounding the court. Whirl! I spin the ball in the air concentrating on the rim fifteen feet in front of me. As it passes right in front of my nose I feel the soft cool breeze being brought to life from the balls rotation, smelling the worn leather from the ball. The ball returns to my hands. My knees bend. My eyes fixed on the back of the rim; I take a deep breath in as the fragrance of old popcorn and sweat and the mixed aroma of sweet candy and soda from the snack bar in the corner fills my nose.
Exhaling, the cool wind circles the ball and chills both my hands. Complete relaxation. Empty gym; just me and the ball. Just like I have practiced millions of times. I am ready. As smooth as an ocean wave- starting from my toes I push off the floor extending every muscle in my legs. I simultaneously straighten my back into the air as my arms raise the ball slightly above my head. Left hand under the ball right hand on the side for support, my left wrist rolls the ball off my fingertips sending it spinning into the air. Silence. It feels like an eternity… watching, waiting, wishing… Swish!

remembermeplz said...
woww! that is AWHAMHZING!