New-Look Bruins Beasts of East | Teen Ink

New-Look Bruins Beasts of East

The 2005-06 NHL season was the deep, dark pit of despair for the Boston Bruins organization with their less than stellar performance to start the season that would lead to the end of an era in the trading of franchise icon, Joe Thornton. In following seasons, the Bruins were plagued by numerous coaching changes and career threatening injuries to star players such as Patrice Bergeron and Andrew Alberts, which had threatened all chances of making the playoffs. But last year, the relentless Bruins found their stride with outstanding performances from a variety of players which led them to a hard earned playoff spot and seven game series against last year’s best Montreal Canadians.
Coming into this season, the Bruins were slated to be one of the top eight teams in the eastern conference and would defiantly challenge to make the playoffs. But now, two months into the season the Bruins have emerged as the best team in the Eastern Conference; a place where hardly anyone expected them to be. With off-season additions of Michael Ryder, Blake Wheeler, and Stephan Yelle and amazing returns of both Patrice Bergeron and Manny Fernandez from season ending injuries a year ago, the Boston lineup has improved to be one of the strongest and deepest in the league.
Behind the defense- first mentality of Coach Claude Julien, along with supreme play of recently picked All Stars Marc Savard, Zedno Chara, and Tim Thomas the Bruins have risen to the upper echelon of the NHL. Amazing youngsters Phil Kessel, Milan Lucic and David Krejci have led the way on offense, each having already passed their own career highs in goals. Playing stellar defense along with outstanding goaltending, the Bruins have allowed just 94 goals against, best in the league. While at the same time, having a speed filled and balanced attack with an Eastern Conference best 154 goals, good enough for second best in the league. Their current hot streak has the Bruins feeling confident in their abilities after having only lost 7 official games while winning an astounding 31 including a 4-1 romping of the defending Stanley Cup Champion Detroit Redwings.
I don’t know about you, but to me, when you beat the defending champions handily, there must be something special about this team for sure. Once seen as one of the teams to challenge for the eighth and final playoff spot before the season started, now the Bruins are tops on the lists of several experts to be the next Cup Champions. Yes…I am talking about the Stanley Cup.